Full frame camera

plastii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

I have a quick question. Do I need a special lens for full frame digital camera?

Thanks
Marek

Hi.

I have a quick question. Do I need a special lens for full frame digital camera?

Thanks
Marek

Kinda. You do NOT want to use the special lenses designed for use with DX sensors. A "full frame" camera requires the same lenses that are used with 35mm film. The reference to "full frame" is the 24X36 frame on 35mm film.

Kinda. You do NOT want to use the special lenses designed for use with DX sensors. A "full frame" camera requires the same lenses that are used with 35mm film. The reference to "full frame" is the 24X36 frame on 35mm film.

I've noticed a lot of people who call all APS-C-sized sensors "DX sensors". The DX designation only applies to Nikon as far as I understand.

Is this another proprietary eponym, similar to Kleenex instead of tissue or Band-Aid instead of bandage?

I've noticed a lot of people who call all APS-C-sized sensors "DX sensors". The DX designation only applies to Nikon as far as I understand.

Is this another proprietary eponym, similar to Kleenex instead of tissue or Band-Aid instead of bandage?

Yeah, DX is a Nikon term but the Canon APS-C sensor is almost as large. I suspect that the terms are proprietary but, personally, I don't care.

Yeah, DX is a Nikon term but the Canon APS-C sensor is almost as large. I suspect that the terms are proprietary but, personally, I don't care.

Oh, ok. Well I just know that for myself it's already hard enough to learn and understand all the technical jargon of photography, so I like to know the correct terminology.

APS-S comes from 'Advanced Photo System'...remember those 35mm film cameras that could take normal or wide 'panoramic' photos? Basically APS was smaller than 35mm film...about the size of modern 'crop' sensors.

I think that's how it goes...:scratch:

Back to the original question...lenses designed for 35mm SLR film cameras will be OK for 'full frame' digital. (Any Canon "EF" lens...but not "EF-S" lens)

But the term describes lens mounts as well.

Canon's 1.6 sensor uses EF S mount lenses while their 1.3 FF and some older 1.6 cameras use the EF mount. It really helps because most people considering a FF camera are considering a Canon.

But the term describes lens mounts as well.

Canon's 1.6 sensor uses EF S mount lenses while their 1.3 FF and some older 1.6 cameras use the EF mount. It really helps because most people considering a FF camera are considering a Canon.

"DX" does not describe a lens mount. I don't use Canon gear but I never heard anyone use the term "APC-C" to describe a lens mount. My understanding is that Canon lens mounts are described as "EF" and "EF-S" but I could be wrong.

"DX" does not describe a lens mount. I don't use Canon gear but I never heard anyone use the term "APC-C" to describe a lens mount. My understanding is that Canon lens mounts are described as "EF" and "EF-S" but I could be wrong.

Maybe I should have phrased that differently. But there are DX designated lenses but not APS-C designated lenses. Canon uses EF and EF S to describe which mounts are for what cameras and since you can't use an EF S mount lens on an EF mount camera without breaking things, then it is important when talking about FF cameras.

But there are DX designated lenses..
That has absolutely nothing to do with the lens mount. The "DX designated lenses" WILL mount on Nikon film cameras and Nikon FX sensor cameras without any problem. Of course, the lenses won't properly illuminate the film or sensor frame but that's an entirely different issue.

Canon uses EF and EF S to describe which mounts are for what cameras and since you can't use an EF S mount lens on an EF mount camera without breaking things, then it is important when talking about FF cameras.
Obviously, "APS-C" is NOT a designator for a Canon lens mount.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the lens mount. The "DX designated lenses" WILL mount on Nikon film cameras and Nikon FX sensor cameras without any problem. Of course, the lenses won't properly illuminate the film or sensor frame but that's an entirely different issue.

Which is stil semi-relevant to the OP's question. If he is talking about the D3(correct model yes?) he really does need a "special" lens or else he won't be utilizing the full capacity of the camera.

Which is stil semi-relevant to the OP's question. If he is talking about the D3(correct model yes?) he really does need a "special" lens or else he won't be utilizing the full capacity of the camera.

I responded to the OP many post ago. However, too many newbies get needlessly confused when incorrect semantics are used. The point that I was making to you is that DX and APS-C are NOT, in any manner, shape or form, lens mount designators.

You can use the lenses, the camera will automatically crop down the image though. at least with Nikon, a D3 with a DX lens attatched will crop the image down to 5.5MP from 12MP

Most reactions

Back