Full frame question

Basically any nikon lens that isn't designated "DX" will work full frame. Don't know about other brands

Are you saying that you cannot tell if the lenses you have are DX or FX?

Post the brand/make/model, I or someone else will tell you.

However, that really begs the question that if your knowledge or experience level cannot do this basically simple task... why are you moving to a D700 with the awesome D300 in your hands already?

Maybe I'm dreaming...but I thought that Nikon full frame bodies had a feature where they could use lenses with a smaller image circle, but at a reduced size/resolution. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Maybe I'm dreaming...but I thought that Nikon full frame bodies had a feature where they could use lenses with a smaller image circle, but at a reduced size/resolution. I'm I wrong?

No, you're absolutely correct... in fact if a DX lens is put on it automatically goes into that mode, like 5mp or so.

BigMike,
No, you're not dreaming; the Nikon full frame bodies can/will capture in APS-C mode when a DX lens is mounted. The dual-format capture concept Nikon premiered on the D2x is pretty handy; on the D2x, which is an APS-C camera, one could also capture in 2.0x FOV crop mode with the press of a button. Pretty handy. Nikon wisely decided to migrate that feature forward to its full-frame D3, then D700, then D3x bodies, which can all capture at full image size,and also at the smaller APS-C image size.

The D3 series also has 5:4 aspect ratio image capture available too, for those who want to shoot for 4x5 or 8x10 or 16x20 aspect images; the D700 does not have the 5:4 aspect ratio option.

Also of note is that some DX lenses seem to work(even in FX mode) on the FX frame, I believe the 35/1.8 is one of them.

I agree with a previous poster though, if you don't know enough about your equipment that you don't know what will work with the D700 then you probably have no reason to get rid of the D300 at this point. It's an awesome body.

Ok since this may be lost in the barrage of posts from people who will blindly say they don't work because they are DX etc:

THEY WILL WORK JUST FINE

DX and other branded for digital type lenses cast a smaller image circle. The camera detects the lens will will adjust it's output accordingly. You will only get 5mpx images out of it with DX lenses, but they will be 5 very spectacular megapixels so don't let that in any way deter you. Any Nikon lens that isn't specifically marked DX will work to the camera's full potential.

Oh and ANY Nikon lens back to about the 1970s works with the D700. It's one of the most versatile cameras around.

Well, to answer the OPs question:
not sure if our current lenses will work properly with the full frame sensor of the D700

No. They will not work just fine. They will not work "properly" on a full frame sensor. You will get much higher image quality using a DX body.

Maybe I'm dreaming...but I thought that Nikon full frame bodies had a feature where they could use lenses with a smaller image circle, but at a reduced size/resolution. I'm I wrong?

No, you're absolutely correct... in fact if a DX lens is put on it automatically goes into that mode, like 5mp or so.

Half right. :)

It will fall into a 5MP DX mode ONLY with certain Nikon lenses and ONLY if the option in the menu is set to auto detect. None of my Sigma DX lenses that I own are "auto" recognized as DX lenses and have this huge black vignette hole surrounding the pics I take using them. I can go into the menu and force a DX lens mode and they are "useable" but who buys a 12MP camera and puts lenses on them that force it to drop to 5MP? ;)

I agree with JerryPH. Will it work? Yes. Why would you want to? I don't know. If you're going to make the jump to a D700, get the glass to go with it. And personally, I don't know what you have for glass, but it's likely that's you'd be better off upgrading you lenses know and getting pro quality FF lenses, then later on upgrading to the D700. Just my $.02

not sure if our current lenses will work properly with the full frame sensor of the D700

No. They will not work just fine. They will not work "properly" on a full frame sensor. You will get much higher image quality using a DX body.

That's NOT what you said the first time.

You can't use Nikon DX, Sigma DC, or Tamron Di-II

That's NOT what you said the first time.

Both times I said they would not work. How is that different?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back