Fun with space and time: Widelux F6

markc said:
use slow shutter speeds so that anything moving gets distorted by the swinging lens. Do you play with that at all, Matt? I find the effect rather strange.

Absolutely! Check out the pic I posted here...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9069

One guy is moving with the lens (becoming wider), and the other guy is moving against the lens (becoming thinner).

I've also moved the camera some while the exposure is occuring.

For those who are confused: although the Widelux has shutter speeds of 1/15th, 1/125th, and 1/250th of a sec, this is actually just to determine correct exposure. The Widelux doesn't have a shutter like most cameras. Just a vertical (if the image is horizontal) strip is exposed as the turrent moves across the film.

At 1/15th the complete time necessary to fully expose the entire image is more than 3 seconds, and at 1/125th it's at least 1 sec. It is possible for me to trigger the shutter, and then back off and get into the pic on one side of the image.

With the old Cirkut cameras people at one end of the pic would run behind the camera and get into the pic at the other side of the group. Look at the old pano group photos, and you might find "twins".

ksmattfish said:
I just noticed that if you look in the lower left corner you can see the tip of my shoe!
That's what makes the picture for me. ;) Like terri, I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it. It doesn't take away from the picture in my opinion. Both shots are really good but I like the second one better even with your foot. :D It does seem like many photographers are stuck on the perfectly level horizon habit. Your pictures show that good pictures can be achieved with some tilting and creativity. I also love pano crops too.

markc said:
I have this shot of Teru's hanging on my wall right now.
Wow, that's a sweet picture. The blown highlights is also something most photographers try not to do. Just goes to show that rules are meant to be broken. ;) Thanks for the links Mark.

I don't mind my foot in the pic at all. The viewfinder doesn't give a very accurate image of what you are going to get. It's a classic Widelux blooper, and it is pretty small. I could crop it if I wanted.

Imagine how you hold a regular camera. With a Widelux any part of your hand, mostly finger tips, that is on the front of the camera body would show up in the pic, and I've done it a bunch. It's just part of the widelux weirdness :shaking:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back