Funkadacious Trippy Color Correcting - book - help PS CS2 dummy here--

zendianah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zenphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So heres the deal. I have been stumbling around with PS. Its either something wrong with my screen or eyes.
Every photo that I have Critiqued has been said that its TERRIBLE Color to grainy.. Blah blah blah.. -- Great Composition.. Interesting shot..All negative but no advice.. I don't expect people to share their secrets I am self taught.. Can anyone share what book or website they have found useful for my .. how I call it.. FUNKADACIOUS TRIPPY color corecting style.

I will be sooooooo appreciative if someone -- anyone--- tells me something...

umm.... i dunno.... i went to the library and got a bunch of books on regular and digital photography, as well as photoshop. I'm not all that good at it myself though, but i know i appreciate responses if i ask a question, so i like to help where i can

I appreciate your response. Funny you say that. I'm taking my son to the library now. I'll pick up some books. Hey I was on this other forum and this guys has over 400 websites on photoshop tricks. If you want them let me know and I will post it.

- Dianah

yeah, that'd be great

its not really that hard, i mean.....just go and check out a book, im 100% self taught with photography, picked up a camera 6 years ago and one hasnt left my side since. PS is a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! program, im using photoshop cs2 and im still learning, it just takes a little bit of effort and time to get anywhere.

its not really that hard, i mean.....just go and check out a book, im 100% self taught with photography, picked up a camera 6 years ago and one hasnt left my side since. PS is a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! program, im using photoshop cs2 and im still learning, it just takes a little bit of effort and time to get anywhere.

Yea.. I know its not that hard to get a book.. GEEESSSE (it must say DUH on my forehead) .. It is hard when you have 3 ankle biters (my kids) with me EVERY waking moment. Yes I do get to the library , while chasing a 1 and 3 year old and trying to concentrate on the "right" book.

Is their a "book" that has helped you become the photographer you are?
One that you still go to as a refernce tool. I am a self taught oil painter and cage fighter..... Just trying to lighten things up here. I'm just trying to get a photograph that blows my mind.

iver spent a good 20 minutes looking for the photography book that changed me, its amazing, ill look a little later and tell you what its called.

IMO, you need to take a look at some of the basic issues that are hurting your color attempts before you start worrying how to use CS2 to pump up colors.

Your soccer ball picture (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76990 ) where you wanted to pump up the color was taken
in the early afternoon (the sun high in the sky) with a large aperture (very shallow depth of field) and a very fast exposure time. These elements are a recipe for unsaturated colors.

Take pictures with sun much lower in the sky (an hour before sunset), with a smaller aperture and a slower speed. You will get much better colors naturally.

(Camera Model: NIKON D50
Image Date: 2007:03:30 01:21:04
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 185.0mm (35mm equivalent: 277mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
Aperture: f/4.5
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix)

IMO, you need to take a look at some of the basic issues that are hurting your color attempts before you start worrying how to use CS2 to pump up colors.

Your soccer ball picture (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76990 ) where you wanted to pump up the color was taken
in the early afternoon (the sun high in the sky) with a large aperture (very shallow depth of field) and a very fast exposure time. These elements are a recipe for unsaturated colors.

Take pictures with sun much lower in the sky (an hour before sunset), with a smaller aperture and a slower speed. You will get much better colors naturally.

(Camera Model: NIKON D50
Image Date: 2007:03:30 01:21:04
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 185.0mm (35mm equivalent: 277mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
Aperture: f/4.5
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix)

I do agree with that ! My sons game was at 12. It was his first game :) . I'm going to start shooting an Hour before sunset and put up my work for critique.

Traveler--- When Im going for DOF.. I should have a smaller apperture and faster speed? I need to get a book on DOF. I have been practicing indoor with that and just cant grasp it! Thank you in advance for your advice.

I do agree with that ! My sons game was at 12. It was his first game :) . I'm going to start shooting an Hour before sunset and put up my work for critique.

Traveler--- When Im going for DOF.. I should have a smaller apperture and faster speed? I need to get a book on DOF. I have been practicing indoor with that and just cant grasp it! Thank you in advance for your advice.

These are two separate issues - exposure and depth of field.

Exposure - When you are pouring light onto the sensor the smaller the aperture [opening] (towards the f22 end) the longer the light has to go through the small hole (slower shutter speed)
Conversely, the larger the opening (towards the f1.4 end) the shorter the shutter speed needed to get enough light onto the sensor.

Depth of field is related to size of opening. In general, the smaller the aperture (larger the f number) the greater the DOF at any specific distance.
So for any lens, the depth of field at f1.4 will be much less than at f22.

Here are a couple books that I have got my money's worth:
For Photoshop:
[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Adobe-Photoshop-CS2-One-One/dp/0596100965/ref=sr_1_1/702-5504517-6293624?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175667602&sr=8-1[/ame]
A great book that you go along with step-by-step. Some of it you may already know, but some that may be new. It's a great way to go from a beginner to a novice user of PS.

For Photography:
[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_1/702-5504517-6293624?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175667704&sr=1-1[/ame]
It is the farthest book from complicated. Seriously, you could read this is an evening. A lot of useful, practical, immediate tips. You won't get a detailed definition of aperture, but you will take better pictures.

If you are into iTunes, there is a video podcast called Photoshop TV that is a weekly (Mondays) show that has a ton of tips, tutorials, info, etc. It's really good.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!!

I borrowed... 8 books from the library and am goinging stir crazy.. with contradicting info. I'll check out these 2 books.. The reviews look great. Thank you!!!!

I am very new to photography as well. Everything I know, which isn't much, I learned from a book. The best books that I've have read, the ones that kept me intrested and gave me all the information I needed, were books by a guy named Scott Kelby. He not only writes books on digital photography and how to get the most out of your camera but he also writes books on photoshop. His books are easy to understand and they cut through the crap and give you the things you need to know. The two best books that I have read by him are, The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers and The Digital Photography Book Hopes this helps.

get your colour vision checked out, calibrate your monitor, then look for hints of colour that shouldn't be there,do levels,curves, auto colour, then check, whites should look white with no yellos, blues, reds or other colours in there, check your other colours too, then saturate, keep an eye on the colours as you adjust saturation, find the sweet spot n bingo, your done. H

ps here's one you did earlier
dsc0033zt5.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back