FX "Full Frame" vs DX "Crop Senor"

From what I've read so far about the difference in the two (35mm vs 24mm) is that it could work to my advantage because I'll be in the stands zooming into my object which would give me an additional 1.5 on my focal length.
Just to be clear, you know that there is no increase in magnification, right? 300mm is still 300mm, you just get less of the scene to look at (cropped).

Just to be extra uber clear... focal length != magnification.

not exactly.
longer focal length lenses have longer minimum focus distances than shorter focal length lenses. longer focal lenght lenses are used for shooting from farther away not magnification.
Magnification is a function of the view angle and the focus distance. There are two ways to get higher magnification: decrease the view angle or decrease the focus distance.
Focal length determines the view angle of a lens. Longer focal length means a narrower view angle. Focus distance is how close the plane of sharp focus is to the camera sensor. Minimum focus distance is the closest distance that a given lens can focus.

Just to be clear, you know that there is no increase in magnification, right? 300mm is still 300mm, you just get less of the scene to look at (cropped).

Just to be extra uber clear... focal length != magnification.

not exactly.
longer focal length lenses have longer minimum focus distances than shorter focal length lenses. longer focal lenght lenses are used for shooting from farther away not magnification.
Magnification is a function of the view angle and the focus distance. There are two ways to get higher magnification: decrease the view angle or decrease the focus distance.
Focal length determines the view angle of a lens. Longer focal length means a narrower view angle. Focus distance is how close the plane of sharp focus is to the camera sensor. Minimum focus distance is the closest distance that a given lens can focus.

A LOT of misinformation in that post, but like I said, focal length != magnification.

As an example my 100mm macro can achieve a very wide range of magnifications, all still at 100mm.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back