Garden Guests pic heavy

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently fostering some black swallowtail caterpillars. Still pretty small at this point but it won't be long until they're tearing through my fennel and parsley. I haven't attempted focus stacking yet, not sure if I want to get into all that or just keep it single frame. It was a bit breezy taking these so was waiting for it to die down between shots. These were all taken handheld with the Fuji X-T5 and 70-300mm lens with extension rings and a few with the Raynox lens attached - edited in LrC and Topaz Sharpen. Feedback and suggestions always welcome.

Black Swallowtail Caterpillars by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Just dropping off some frass on the fennel

Some type of aphid or leafhopper - they've invaded my hanging petunias.
Garden 2023 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Harlie came by to check out the macro lens
Harlie checking out the macro lens by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Great set! I have zero suggestions for your processing because they all look great to me. I like your chosen DOF on each of these - great sharpness where it needs to be to watch these hungry little guys munching away. Lovely exposures. Harlie has such amazing eyes!

I'm putting a not-great-looking parsley plant outside for the benefit of these cats. I have some new pollinator plants in the ground but no one has matured enough to bloom yet. Joe Pye weed, swamp milkweed, bee balm all look great so far. I am just now getting my purple coneflowers and back-eyed Susans to bud out. Brand new garden in this yard.

The rest of my herbs I am keeping in my sun room - I am missing my old screened in porch for my potted herbs this year.

Anyway - again, great work on this set!

Thanks @terri I’m glad I got these pics when I did. At least one of the cats was killed by a wasp. I found it eating the caterpillar 🥲 early this morning. Nature is cruel. I might get some netting to go over the plants to give the rest a better chance of making it.

The definition in these stands out. X-T5?? Nice series. Lovely colour saturation.

The definition in these stands out. X-T5?? Nice series. Lovely colour saturation.
Yes X-T5 thanks. I sharpened in Topaz. Between my hand held wobbles and the two extension tubes, the dof was shaky and they needed it. Need to work on my hand holding technique!

A very nice set....
Thanks Jeff….

Very nice shots and colours, I also really like the aphid thingy - almost glass-like, beautiful shot.
I'm guessing with those eyes (but probably wrong) the last pic is a husky?

Great set. Focus sharp and love the color tones.

Very nice shots and colours, I also really like the aphid thingy - almost glass-like, beautiful shot.
I'm guessing with those eyes (but probably wrong) the last pic is a husky?
Thanks! I think I misidentified that one. After some research, I’m pretty sure it’s a lacewing there to eat the aphids!

Great set. Focus sharp and love the color tones.
Thanks Cheryl!

popping colour on the catapillars
Thanks very much!

Wonderful set! 70-300mm lens with how many extension tubes?
2 tubes - a 11mm and a 16mm stacked. They’re JJC brand and my AF works with them which is convenient for outdoor macro.

Thanks! I think I misidentified that one. After some research, I’m pretty sure it’s a lacewing there to eat the aphids!

Thanks Cheryl!

Thanks very much!

2 tubes - a 11mm and a 16mm stacked. They’re JJC brand and my AF works with them which is convenient for outdoor macro.
I have the JJC 12, 20, and 36mm ones, and they are pretty good. My curiosity has taken hold and now I am going to have to do some experimenting. :)

I have the JJC 12, 20, and 36mm ones, and they are pretty good. My curiosity has taken hold and now I am going to have to do some experimenting. :)
Can’t wait to see the results! If I’m remembering correctly I had better success with the lens zoomed out at 70mm with the tubes on to get anything in focus.

Thanks @terri I’m glad I got these pics when I did. At least one of the cats was killed by a wasp. I found it eating the caterpillar 🥲 early this morning. Nature is cruel. I might get some netting to go over the plants to give the rest a better chance of making it.
have they formed into chrysalists yet?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back