General Sherman Pano

Puscas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The biggest tree in the world: General Sherman, a sequoia. It's not the tallest, but I still didn't get in into one picture. So I tried a pano. That is, I took 3 pics (a few weeks ago) and thought about turning it into a pano.
But I forgot about it. Till I saw this thread today. And I saw I did everything wrong. It was handheld, different exposures, merely 10 % overlap.... Still, I need to start somewhere. So I used a program called ArcSoft Panorama Maker 4 Pro and it came up with this. I'm actually impressed with the result. Impressed enough to give it another try soon. And take BobblyBill's and Alex' tips to heart.

Thanks for looking:

Panorama1-1.jpg

pascal

wow, that is one unusal pano :) interesting!

well, it's official: size doesn't matter..;)

But at least you commented Alex! Thanx. I know the pic is not great (with the blown out sky), but still I think it's an ok attempt to capture a 275 feet (84 m.) high tree.

(there, that's the elaborate BUMP)

pascal

I like the idea f a vertical pano for trees .. just I would not comment more than because i was in a sort of hurry ;)

yes, the blown out sky bothers a bit.

Well... I would love to comment, but I'm at work and my work blocks your hosting site (commies) so I can't see it until I get home.

From what I can see you did a fantastic job stitching. I'm a little sad about the blown out sky, but your stitching job Aaaaaallllmost makes up for it. I really like this one

Well I can't even remember the last time I saw a Vertical pano... but this is definitely a cool subject, and interesting... The sky, aghhhh what can ya say, but creativity makes up for it... now, are the branches on this ole gem really that sparse ... you know I associate tree as bush type ... lol..

Cool Pic X-lent job!

From what I can see you did a fantastic job stitching. I'm a little sad about the blown out sky, but your stitching job Aaaaaallllmost makes up for it. I really like this one

all right, here's the dirty little secret: all the stitching is done by the ArcSoft software. Sure, you can also manually stitch, but this was all done by just 'giving' the 3 shots to the program. It did a hell of a job (I'll not show the original 3 pics). So I just posted this one so others are not immediately discouraged by the idea of creating a pano. I will definitely look into your tutorial and make my very own!

Well I can't even remember the last time I saw a Vertical pano... but this is definitely a cool subject, and interesting...

Exactly, in fact that's the reason I posted it.

The sky, aghhhh what can ya say, but creativity makes up for it... now, are the branches on this ole gem really that sparse ... you know I associate tree as bush type ... lol..

Cool Pic X-lent job!

Thanx (but like I said, it's mostly the software) and yes there are not many branches on this one. Actually a enormous branch fell of last year. It's still there: it's BIG. And I think these trees don't have a lot of branches anyway, it's their special bark that keeps them growing and growing.

pascal

I remember being there a couple of years ago. Amazing organism isn't it. I hope to go back there and be able to capture it through my lens.

Most reactions

Back