Getting frustrated...

johng25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, guys and gals. I am still a noob but I am getting disappionted that my pics aren't seeming to get any better. I don't really know what the problem seems to be. I understand the exposure triangle (aperature, ISO, shutter speed), but I am just not getting good quality stuff. I practice daily, so I don't know why I am stalemating. Any suggestions for breaking out of this wall I've hit so quickly? Is it possible I should try to focus on one aspect of photography before branching off to learn something else? For example, maybe I should work on landscapes before trying to get into portraits or lighting or whatever? Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

John

1) post some photos and point out where they ( to you ) appear to be lacking -- make sure to post the shutterspeed, aperture, ISO and camera and lens used.

2) Try to focus on one type of photography at a time - makes things simpler to remember.

Start a photo log, conditions, camera settings etc...compare the log to the good, bad and ugly of the shots and you will start to match settings with conditions in real time.

I would suggest that you either show your photos here as it was suggested, or you ask a friend or someone you know who can give you good feedback. Sometimes when you don't talk to anyone then it's easier to get stuck in the same thinking or miss things. When I show my photos to my family and ask them for feedback, it's really beneficial because I get multiple viewpoints that are all valid. Don't give up, sometimes when you are stuck it means that a big breakthrough is just up ahead.

I know this may sound sort of bad but what seems to happen to me is when I shoot somewhere and then send the pictures to someone who was there with me when I was shooting, they usually are like "wow, those pictures are great, I really liked..." I don't plan this, but after I get an email back like that, I feel more confident about my pictures and it gets me motivated to go out and try new techniques and take pictures of new things I haven't shot before, often times it leads to photos that are much better than I have ever taken before.
As I said I don't plan these, but try sending pictures to a non photographer and see what they say, it might just be what you need to get out and experiment.

I know it's odd but what really helps me is getting knocked on my butt sometimes. I took a few series of photos and myself an some other people really loved. I then ventured onto the near college campus and talked to a former photography instructor. He SLAUGHTERED me. This is wrong, thats wrong, what were you thinking, don't quit your day job, all that jazz.

Instead of wallowing in the hole that looked so warm and safe I went out, even though it was just the intention of proving this guy wrong, and did just that. I reworked everything about the photos as I could and in the end, note:I hate all my own photos, I had photos even I was proud of.

Don't let anyone tear you down, but don't be afraid of criticism. Sometimes we need a pat on the shoulder, sometimes we need a swift kick in the butt. Get some photos on hear for people (more experienced than myself) to critique and give their two cents. Someone just may something that sets things into motion.

i was the same way for awhile, just kind of started photography last summer.. a few weeks ago my friend whos good, told me to get closer to stuff and that helped a lot for many shots and greatly expanded the potential for photos of stuff

so try and post some photos or get a flickr, so we can see what your photos are like.. or just ask a friend who gots da skillz...

I know this may sound sort of bad but what seems to happen to me is when I shoot somewhere and then send the pictures to someone who was there with me when I was shooting, they usually are like "wow, those pictures are great, I really liked..." I don't plan this, but after I get an email back like that, I feel more confident about my pictures and it gets me motivated to go out and try new techniques and take pictures of new things I haven't shot before, often times it leads to photos that are much better than I have ever taken before.
As I said I don't plan these, but try sending pictures to a non photographer and see what they say, it might just be what you need to get out and experiment.

That's a great idea, simple enough. Sometimes when you just need one person's excitement to get you motivated and inspired again. When you spend most of your time around people who are not encouraging and more critical, it will only get you down. And it's not good for creativity. When you are in a creative mode, you need to stay away from others who don't support you, because they are probably jealous and unhappy because they are not in touch with their own creativity, and they will only want to bring you down with them.

Don't get frustrated. Get even!

Personaly i would not ask someone who is not into photography because you may carry on down the wrong path for a long time, i have only been shooting for about 4 years now i taught myself by posting photos every day and taking in as much as i could, i also felt the same at the begining but now shoot for horse magazines

Most reactions

New Topics

Back