Getting the Canon mark IV. Need help selecting lense

Abbysuliman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in a good place right now to buy Canon mark 5D IV.
I would appreciate the assistance picking out a starter package of lenses without "overlapping" in purposes.

1- the best Canon lense for portraits. It has to have the widest range as well as excellent blurring flexibility.

2- All in one. Something I can use for traveling , landscape, portraits or for an event.

3 -best lense for night/ low light ( this may overlap with another lense)

4- best lense for outdoor modeling shots. Capturing the best colors out of Modeling poses with impressive backgrounds of all sizes.
I'd like to stick to Canon lense if possible.
Thank you in advance

A few options:

1- the best Canon lens for portraits. It has to have the widest range as well as excellent blurring flexibility.
  1. Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM
  2. Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
  3. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

2- All in one. Something I can use for traveling , landscape, portraits or for an event.
  1. Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
  2. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  3. Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM

3 -best lens for night/ low light ( this may overlap with another lens)
  • Anything f/2.8, f/2, f/1.4, f/1.2. The lower the f/# the better for low light conditions.

4- best lens for outdoor modeling shots. Capturing the best colors out of Modeling poses with impressive backgrounds of all sizes.
  1. Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
  2. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
  3. Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

Overall, if you want the best flexibility for all conditions above, and if money permits, get these three lenses:
  • Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
  • Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM
You'd be covered for basically all situations you described with the 5D Mark IV. Good luck!

PS: The sigular form is written "lens", not "lense". "Lense" does not exist.

Overall, if you want the best flexibility for all conditions above, and if money permits, get these three lenses:
  • Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
  • Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM
You'd be covered for basically all situations you described with the 5D Mark IV. Good luck!

PS: The sigular form is written "lens", not "lense". "Lense" does not exist.

Thank you thank you thank you

Exactly the perfect combo.

2 final questions .

1- which of these 3 lense you recommended would cover capturing great landscape photos no matter how far. (Sometimes lense causes landscape objects to appear farther away & tiny in photos comparing to what they appear with the naked eye )

2. Lense 16-35 mm f/2.8 . does it offer anything extra that the 3 you mentioned won't do ? In another word would be a good addition to them ??

Thank you sooo much you really helped out a lot

Be mindful, a low f/# is a small lens aperture. f/11, f/16, f/22 are increasing small lens openings.
High f/#, big lens opening - f/1.2, f/2, f/2.8.

f/# is a fraction.
With a large numerical denominator, the fraction is a small number.
With a smaller numerical denominator, the fraction is a bigger number.

1- which of these 3 lense you recommended would cover capturing great landscape photos no matter how far. (Sometimes lenses cause landscape objects to appear farther away & tiny in photos comparing to what they appear with the naked eye )
  • I'd say the 24-70mm.
  • The naked eye see, more or less, the same proportion of a 50mm lens. Below 50mm, the objects will be smaller than the human eye proportion. Above 50mm they will be larger.

2. Lense 16-35 mm f/2.8 . does it offer anything extra that the 3 you mentioned won't do ? In another word would be a good addition to them ??
  • Any ultra-wide angle lens, like the 16-35mm, would be a great addition, no doubt. If you want low light (for nightscape, or skyscape, or astroscape), the 16-35mm f/2.8 is a good option. But I'd recommend looking at the Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, specially if you're looking for ultra-wide angles for real. 11mm is much much wider than 16mm on full frame.
Good luck.

PS: Nikon's website offers an interesting lens simulator. On it, you can chose your focal length, from 14mm all the way to 800mm, and see how a lens would capture the sample image.

Have a look (the focal length/mm perspective will be the same for all full frame lenses, no matter the brand - just make sure "FX" is selected at the bottom in the Nikon's lens simuluator, once it will show the same perspective of the Canon 5D Mark IV sensor):
Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lens Simulator

How to use wide angle lenses: watch this video.

Thank you again my friend. I appreciate you going out of your way to assist me.

Now that I'm good in the camera , lense, Lightroom app. All I can look for is a good flash .

I hate the size & complexity of the 600 ex speedlite.

Am I going to miss out on much if I settle to second best the 430 ? Giving the type of photography goals I mentioned.

The 430 speedlite flash will be more than enough to start with, even if an older version. If you come to use flash seriously, in the future, you will need at least 2 or 3 units, plus a radio trigger, or similar. So get a simpler version today, and if you want to use more, get another speedlite flash later, more powerful, to complement the 430, and use then together.

You're getting a very serious pro equipment so far. Be sure to use them well...

If you want the widest range of flexibility on a FF then you might want to look at:

16-35mm F2.8 II
24-70mm f2.8 II
70-200mm f2.8 II

Ultra wide to standard telephoto length that suits most people.

If you want the widest range of flexibility on a FF then you might want to look at:

16-35mm F2.8 II
24-70mm f2.8 II
70-200mm f2.8 II

Ultra wide to standard telephoto length that suits most people.

nice lens combo (pricey but very nice)

Hi all,
I'm in a good place right now to buy Canon mark 5D IV.
I would appreciate the assistance picking out a starter package of lenses without "overlapping" in purposes.

1- the best Canon lense for portraits. It has to have the widest range as well as excellent blurring flexibility.

3 -best lense for night/ low light ( this may overlap with another lense)

4- best lense for outdoor modeling shots. Capturing the best colors out of Modeling poses with impressive backgrounds of all sizes.
I'd like to stick to Canon lense if possible.
Thank you in advance
1 - 85 1.2 or 135 2.0 all personal preference there ... how close you like to be while shooting and how much compression you like
2- 24-105 f4 L
3- 50 1.2 (85 1.2 hunts for the focus in low light)
4- if you have the 50 and the 85/135 you'll be good with this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back