Giving away a Canon 7D and 28-135 kit lens (+ a few extras)

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm not shooting much professionally any longer, so I don't need a third backup body (I currently have a D600 and a D7100). I used to primarily use this 7D for sports with my trusty 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II. While I love that combo, I decided it was too great of a lens for me to justify keeping for a camera that I almost never use any more.

I sold the lens, so that is not part of the give away, lol.

What I am giving away is a well-maintained, but well-used Canon 7D and the kit lens. Also included: a Canon battery and an aftermarket charger and a couple of aftermarket batteries and several CF cards. I long ago lost the strap, box, etc. so none of that type of stuff comes with it.

I thought about selling it, as I think I could probably get around $400-$500 for the package, but, eh, I'd much rather help somebody trying to get started with photography.

This thing is built like a tank. It is absolutely as high of a build quality as *ANY* DSLR, at any price level, I've ever used. Its build quality is better than my Nikon D600, for example. It served me very well. It focuses fast and shoots like a demon speed wise. It is absolutely a pro-grade camera. And the kit lens is probably my favorite kit lens I've had, be it Canon or Nikon.

I'm giving it away, here are the conditions:

1) You cannot currently own a DSLR above "entry level" eg Nikon D3X00 series, Canon T3i, T5, etc. If you are confused about this aspect, please ask.

2) If you own one of the aforementioned entry level DSLRs, you must offer it up on TPF as a free giveaway if you get the 7D. Obviously this is irrelevant if you don't currently own a DSLR.

3) You must write and submit an essay on what your goals with photography are, why photography is important to you, why getting this would make a huge difference to your goals that you couldn't easily get on your own and finally what you hope to express with your photography.

4) You must submit in this thread 5-10 photos you have taken that you feel best expresses your style. Don't worry about image quality due to type of camera used. These images will primarily be judged based on content, composition and message, rather than image quality. Include your "portfolio" with the essay from step 3. Also include what camera(s) you currently own or borrow, cell phones, point and shoot, D3100, whatever.

The giveaway will end and a recipient chosen after 1 month or 50 completed, valid entries, whichever comes first.

How awesome!! I'm excited to see this !

Wow, what a tremendous thing for you to do, fjrabon!! I hope you get some truly worthwhile entries.
Yeah, I don't even have the slightest idea how much interest this will garner. I don't think there are a ton of people on here who regularly read the forum looking for a camera to get started. But otoh I'm giving away a pretty good camera. I could see nobody "applying" or it going nuts with a ton of people or anything in between. Absolutely no idea.

Wow. That's a great prize and a very nice gesture. I hope Karma goes your way

Brilliant, would you consider shipping to Europe if the recipient pays the shipping? I would love that camera and would offer my 450D in a heartbeat :1219:

Great gesture :headbang:

Brilliant, would you consider shipping to Europe if the recipient pays the shipping? I would love that camera and would offer my 450D in a heartbeat :1219:

Great gesture :headbang:
If the recipient pays shipping, sure.

nice of you fjrabon!

I'm curious what people are going to say... will read this thread with interest :)

Does one have to be an established member of the forum, or may we invite those that qualify to come and apply?

Does one have to be an established member of the forum, or may we invite those that qualify to come and apply?
Anybody can apply. I'd give a preference to people who regularly contribute all else equal.

My primary criterion in order are:
1) need
2) love of photography
3) vision
4) innate talent
5) personality
6) contributing to this community

I hope someone gets this that meets your criteria and thats looking to upgrade from entry level gear but can't afford to for financial reasons.It's very kind hearted of you.May the best Man or Women Win.Looking forward to the outcome of this.

Wow, that is really cool. I just HAD to upgrade to the 7D last year didn't I? lol.

Good luck to those that submit entries.

So, I'm not shooting much professionally any longer, so I don't need a third backup body (I currently have a D600 and a D7100). I used to primarily use this 7D for sports with my trusty 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II. While I love that combo, I decided it was too great of a lens for me to justify keeping for a camera that I almost never use any more.

I sold the lens, so that is not part of the give away, lol.

What I am giving away is a well-maintained, but well-used Canon 7D and the kit lens. Also included: a Canon battery and an aftermarket charger and a couple of aftermarket batteries and several CF cards. I long ago lost the strap, box, etc. so none of that type of stuff comes with it.

I thought about selling it, as I think I could probably get around $400-$500 for the package, but, eh, I'd much rather help somebody trying to get started with photography.

This thing is built like a tank. It is absolutely as high of a build quality as *ANY* DSLR, at any price level, I've ever used. Its build quality is better than my Nikon D600, for example. It served me very well. It focuses fast and shoots like a demon speed wise. It is absolutely a pro-grade camera. And the kit lens is probably my favorite kit lens I've had, be it Canon or Nikon.

I'm giving it away, here are the conditions:

1) You cannot currently own a DSLR above "entry level" eg Nikon D3X00 series, Canon T3i, T5, etc. If you are confused about this aspect, please ask.

2) If you own one of the aforementioned entry level DSLRs, you must offer it up on TPF as a free giveaway if you get the 7D. Obviously this is irrelevant if you don't currently own a DSLR.

3) You must write and submit an essay on what your goals with photography are, why photography is important to you, why getting this would make a huge difference to your goals that you couldn't easily get on your own and finally what you hope to express with your photography.

4) You must submit in this thread 5-10 photos you have taken that you feel best expresses your style. Don't worry about image quality due to type of camera used. These images will primarily be judged based on content, composition and message, rather than image quality. Include your "portfolio" with the essay from step 3. Also include what camera(s) you currently own or borrow, cell phones, point and shoot, D3100, whatever.

The giveaway will end and a recipient chosen after 1 month or 50 completed, valid entries, whichever comes first.

How do you expect people to submit? On the public forum or private message?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back