Going to Scotland this summer - Not sure about the law...

I've sold acouple of Street photo's and never needed a release,they werent for an advertisment. However,in Glasgow,theres an advert for glasgow which theyve shot in a very popular busy street. and you can clearly see 20/30 people in it. Regardless its an advertisement, someone's still been paid for the image.

Edit: Idea for you, Shoot and dont worry till someone say's anything, then appologise and take it down or stop using it.

UK a release is not needed *shrugs* but even if it was true

I wish...

Something I read gave me that impression but, of course, what you guys are saying gives me a different one. Maybe it was for commercial work with models... Maybe payment to the model is considered the same as having a release. TBH since I don't intend to go work in the UK, I was not paying great attention :er:

Does say a tree or a lake count as property in need of a release? So art gives me a right to take pictures of anything I like and frame it in a gallery or put it in my portfolio? I am lost!

Yes, it can. If it was a well known tree, highly recognizable, and private, it would need a release for commercial use.

Art = no release that I know of. At least I've never had a problem with it and I've done quite a bit of street shooting without ever asking for a release...

Portfolio, as I said, things are changing there and it depends on the kind you use.

Forget all the tourist traps and get off the beaten track and you will find some of the best beaches and scenery in the world, stick to the West coast if you want scenery, take the road from Fort William to Malaig (One of the best motorbike roads in the UK) and you will see beaches that are as good as any in the world, catch a boat to SKYE and then follow all the little lanes up the coast

Forget all the tourist traps and get off the beaten track and you will find some of the best beaches and scenery in the world, stick to the West coast if you want scenery, take the road from Fort William to Malaig (One of the best motorbike roads in the UK) and you will see beaches that are as good as any in the world, catch a boat to SKYE and then follow all the little lanes up the coast

This Man,is speaking Sence, If its warm when your going,and your on north west beach,you might be lucky to see some Dolphin's. :)

This Man,is speaking Sence, If its warm when your going,and your on north west beach,you might be lucky to see some Dolphin's. :)

They have Dolphins in Scotland? I thought Scotland was too cold

Oh, you sir need to do some research!

I can shoot any scenery even with buildings and do with it as I please then? Or editorial only?

Editorial only, you can't sell or profit from a picture if it has someone else's property in it. With out a property release contract....

Sure, you can. I do it all the time, in several countries. Property is NOT copyrightable, so you certainly can profit from a photo that includes someone's building or property.

What you can't do, is take a photo of someone's red barn for example and use it to advertise a certain brand of paint without permission. On the other hand you could sell the photo to the local tourist bureau for a folder to be put out on the particular state or province.

skieur

Last edited:

Oh, you sir need to do some research!

Me or Student?

Dolphins being Mamals are warm blooded,so they can live in our waters.
I was up Clachtoll for a Holiday a few years ago,it wasnt too hot,normal scottish summer,Grey overcast clouds but warm non the less. I watched them for hour's. Was amazing, I'm trying to save for a holiday up there this year :) Scenery's amazing :)

I can shoot any scenery even with buildings and do with it as I please then? Or editorial only?

Editorial only, you can't sell or profit from a picture if it has someone else's property in it. With out a property release contract....

Sure, you can. I do it all the time, in several countries. Property is NOT copyrightable, so you certainly can profit from a photo that includes someone's building or property.

What you can't do, is take a photo of someone's red barn for example and use it to advertise a certain brand of paint without permission. On the other hand you could sell the photo to the local tourist bureau for a folder to be put out on the particular state or province.

skieur

Actually, Theres a List of Buildings Designed by Rennie Mackintosh that are Copyrighted and you need permision to sell any of the print's. There Copyrighted as they were Designed and built as art. It's a Tricky area,but as you know,like art,you cant sell on prints unless you have permission.
I've got first hand experience shooting the Rennie Mackintosh Society Building and been asked what i would be doing with the image's.

There are also a Few Private estates,Well Hundered's,that might have problems if your shooting on their property. Or if your Shooting their Property,Example being a House. There Entitled to their Privacy,So if they ask you to stop shooting,Kindly Oblige. Ive done this before,and ive been so Sweet they'll talk to me and stand with me and encourage me to take more shot's,It's turned out good a couple of times as ive got good Portraits.

The key thing to do when shooting something you think you might not be aloud to do,Is play dumb. "i didnt know,im really sorry,i'll stop right now" Stop and pack up. Dont be daring and carry on if they bugger off,it might end worse.

Scottish heritage are not so bad with their building's. But if you see a No indoor Photography Sign,Obay it also. There the worst people to Escourt you off premisis. I made a small mistake once at Roslyn Chapel by taking a Photo inside. I then emailed and asked to go back to take photo's After hours. They Ofcourse were Fine with it. I got in for Free and got to go up to the Organ Deck.Which was off limits to Public. was the best view to capture the Interior.

Well.I seemed to have Rambled on...Sorry,but it's useful stuff.its what get's me out of sticky situations

John

Oh,and if your in the Glasgow way,Pm me.Im more then Happy to show you about Glasgow :)

Me or Student?

Student!

Although I've never been to the highlands, I've been all the way round the edge of Scotland, we broke the trip down to 2 week sections and just went back for to where we started off each time. Its a stunning place, Mull of Kintyre is especially beautiful

And sea otters, sea eagles

Here's a few shots my partner took as we were riding
18637765_un9p4-XL.jpg

18637767_4kZwP-XL.jpg

18637689_atCNn-XL.jpg

18637736_NSNxF-XL.jpg

I thought 3+4 were Ranock moor,i just wasnt too sure :) Im used to seeing it with Grey Sky's :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back