Good used camera for jewelry pictures

Kimber:

What was the distance between the ring and the front of the camera lens for those photographs?

Let me try to get this post back on track. I am looking for a 100mm lens/camera inexpensive older camera to take pictures about 8 inches away from jewelry but want close up (macro) shots. I will be using a tripod and don't have any problem with a manual focus lens. This will be a single use camera.

Since I don't know how long I am going to be doing this, I don't want to spend a lot of money; maybe $300.00. Yes I know this sounds impossible but let us give it a try.

I cam across this lense for about $120.00
phoenix.gif

shim.gif
Phoenix Telephoto 100mm f/3.5 Macro Manual Focus Lens for Olympus OM-Series Cameras

shim.gif
Mfr# P09036 • B&H# PH10035MO
shim.gif
shim.gif
Price: $ 119.95

Accepting Orders​

I have read many reviews on this older lens. It is fragile but all of the reviews have been very favorable especially the quality of the pictures. I may be wrong but I suspect this lens will provide me a greater sharpness at a greater depth the my finepix s7000 which is sharp at the point of focus but seems to fall of quickly when taking pictures about a inch way.

I now am looking for a used 35mm camera which I could use with this lens. It needs the following features
1. 3 mega pizel or better for 20 pictures
2. Ability to download pictures to my computer.
3. What you see is what you get feature
4. An older used camera is fine.
5. Looking to buy it at about $200.00

Or perhaps there is a better lens/camera combination.

I am sure my s7000 is good under certain circumstances but everything I have read about photographing jewelry says you need at least a 100 mm lens.

My camera knowledge is limited.Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bill Miller

I found this camera in my research and wondered if:
1. Would it work with the above mentioned lens
2. is B and H reputable? They seem to have a very good return policy.
3. Would the lens/camera combo work for my needs?
4. Any comments regarding these products?

Image shown is for illustrative purpose only​
shim.gif
olympus.gif
12 of 238
shim.gif
Olympus OM-4 35mm Manual Focus SLR Camera Body

shim.gif
Used Cat.# 541678 Used Dept.
shim.gif
shim.gif
Price: $ 199.00

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

shim.gif

shim.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

transparentspacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

shim.gif

shim.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

shim.gif

breakline.gif

OOPS, this is a film not a digital camera. No wonder It was such a good deal.

I sell gemstone jewelry on ebay. I used the macro setting on my G2. It took great photos for ebay and was only 4MP. I would keep trying different settings and lighting with your current camera.

I presently must be about an inch away to take close ups of small objects such as jewelry with my finepix s7000. I want to be at least 8 inches away so as not to distort the lighting. I will be using a tripod and the distance between the lens and subject will usually be the same.

I came across the following ad on Ebay
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>

Available in +1, +2, +4, and +10 diopters for close-up photography. Depth-of-field is shallow so use as small an aperture as possible. Close-ups offer a world of new creativity.
Thanks to the CLOSE-UP kit you can make close-up shooting also with a non-macro object lens. The CLOSE-UP kit is free from distance or magnification while macro-zoom lenses are subject of restriction. Can be used in all zooming area. Magnification changes by zooming and focusing.
>>>

Questions:
  • Do you think this is the way to go or should I get a 2x macro-zoom lens?
  • Is there a better way to accomplish my task?
  • The above picture gives me the impression that once I play around with the lenses and find the one that best fits my needs I can then use the manual focus on my finepix to refine the clarity of the picture. Am I correct?
  • Any comments on this subject?
Thanks

Have you tried making another light box? And doesnt the zoom go to 6x optically? Seems you could make a good ghetto light box with more versatility for your purposes and, not really spend anymore money. Try going to http://stobist.blogspot.com for some really good ideas. Im just trying to give you another option to fix your problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back