Gorillapod Focus anyone?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Garbz, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyone here have a Gorillapod Focus or Gorillapod SLR? I'm specifically looking at opinions on these two models since my camera gear will weigh approximately 2.5Kg. I want to know if anyone has either of these two and have loaded them up to somewhere near the weight limit.

I have seen these all over the place. They look cool, and I even had a tiny one for a really tiny camera. Do these handle the weight? Do they get loose over time and fail? $160 is a lot of money for something which I have always considered a toy.

Any experiences? Would you mount your camera on a tree above a river using one?

2. Brick

Brick TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom with the ball head (wouldn't bother getting it without the ball head - very frustrating to compose a shot) and I like it a lot. Easy to throw in my messenger bag and take into places that don't look kindly on tripods.

I've only been using mine for about 2 or 3 months so I can't say much about it loosening up after time, but I it's always held up fine being wrapped around a pole or railing (although I always keep the camera strap in hand just in case, don't know that I'd feel comfortable leaving it dangling above a river). I shoot a lot of HDR so I bracket my shots and every time I've used it all 3 shots have lined up perfectly - no camera shake at all.

I've got a d90 and a sigma 10-20mm - not sure how much that weighs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  3. mrpink

mrpink No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Gorilla PoDSLR w/o the ball head. Yes it is kind of a pain to make those minor adjustments when composing, but it is rock solid. $25 from Wal-Mart well spent. Holds my D40, SB-600, and 55-200mm VR easily. As above, I have shot a number of HDRs with it- no problems. It's always in my bag.

Would I hang my camera on a tree over a river?? sure. Would I shake the tree? not on your life.

p!nK

4. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the Gorillapod focus. Just used it on vacation in Mexico. It is actually very nice. It's not as small as the other models. Beefy for sure. I used it with my 7d gripped, 24-105L Lens and flash. I also used the 70-200mm F2.8L IS lens with that same setup.

It worked great. Finally got some vacation pics with me in them. :)

5. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Focus is the new titanium (?) model, right?

Hmm; it's an awfully expensive one - I would probably use the Zoom, unless the weight is really troubling.

I've used the Gpod SLR before - it's all right; seemed a little flimsy to me.

6. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have the gpod slr, but it doesnt really hold the weight i need it to.
    it's now a flash stand.

and for the record, the weight that was too much for it was a gripped d40 with 18-70 and sb600.

i think the zoom version adds another 5lbs to its max weight cap.

7. Garbz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry guys just to be clear I was talking about the SLR-Zoom vs the Focus.

I didn't realise there was a separate "SLR" model which wouldn't even hold my DSLR :)

Fried chicken this is what I'm worried about. The SLR-Zoom is rated to 3kg, however my kit will borderline hit the 3kg mark, so i'm worried.

8. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, that was what deterred me from the whole Gorillapod thing.

Ted's only lists the SLR and Focus - they skip the Zoom entirely. If you buy from Ted's, then you have your answer.

However, if you're like me and find Ted's distastefully mainstream-consumer-focused and over-priced, then... online. You probably already know, but order online or get a local shop like DCW (Digital Camera Warehouse). There's one in Melbourne, and should be one in Brisbane and Sydney from what their website says. I tend to go Camerasdirect.com, which is quite cheap.

Anyway, in most of these non-Ted's-type stores, the Zoom is about 95, and the Focus 199. In this case, are you prepared to pay about a 100 bucks for a moveable tripod with 2kg more capability? Definitely, it's metal and will last longer. I daresay it's probably not too much more heavy than the others, but...

9. Brick

Brick TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh right, apparently I had forgotten which model I purchased. I actually have the SLR-Zoom (edited my post above).

10. Garbz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ted's is good for one thing, and that's bags of Kodak X-Tol on short notice :)

If anything I'll be buying online. But the SLR-Zoom is plastic? Didn't realise. That kind of puts me off it a bit given how I mistreat my gear. Weight isn't an issue though. The Focus would still be lighter than the Manfrotto monstrosity I have as an only alternative.

Will mull over this until my next paycheck. Then I'll probably do an impulse buy and feel guilty until the following paycheck. :)