Greetings from Brazil!

Barco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I'm all new to photography and do not intend to take it professionally. Actually, I never really liked photos at all, but lately I have been very interested in some images and want to try shooting my own. I have been looking at these forums a lot, and I noticed that some guys really have great skills around here!

I am expecting to make some good friends, learning a little about photography (I don't think I'm very talented artistically), and looking at some great work!

My brother was very much into photography, but kind of abandoned it. So he gave me his equipment. Now, I have a lock 'n' loaded Canon Rebel XT of doom (not too fancy, so I have to make it sound cool, right? ;)). I also took his lenses: Canon EFS 18-55mm; Canon EF 50mm, Tamron XR Di LD 28-75mm, and Tamron Di II SP 11-18mm.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can from reading. But I have a feeling that I should start photographing. Thing is: I do not know what I can shoot, or how I can start.

Any tips are welcome. Thanks for your attention. I hope I can stick aroud for awhile!

Welcome!

Just shoot what you like. Anything that interests you. Here are some suggestions:

sports
portraits
still life
landscape
street
abstract

Bem vindo!

You said you became interested in some images and wanted to try shooting some yourself. What kind of images were they? What attracted you to them? Why did you feel the need to make some yourself?

Answer those questions and you might have yourself a place to start, and then yes, you should start shooting :)

Thank you for the welcoming! Muito obrigado.

I'm interested/attracted to some kinds of images/themes, like sports, landscapes, nature, high/low key. I realized that there is a huge difference between a picture that one would take with little to no knowledge and a picture of someone who understands what is doing (not to mention professionals). Which was something that I think I did not realize before.

It is interesting to notice that so much can change in the same scenario depending on the person behind the camera - and here I mention intention, styles, etc. Real life can, sometimes, look like a dream, or a thought, or a memory. So I want to use photography both as a way to express my thoughts, and make them "real". Like portraying the way I see things.

@ limr: By the way, I just have to say I really loved your Empire Hotel picture. I love the noir setting, and the picture was mind blowing. Reminds me of my passage thru NYC.

Thank you for the welcoming! Muito obrigado.

I'm interested/attracted to some kinds of images/themes, like sports, landscapes, nature, high/low key. I realized that there is a huge difference between a picture that one would take with little to no knowledge and a picture of someone who understands what is doing (not to mention professionals). Which was something that I think I did not realize before.

It is interesting to notice that so much can change in the same scenario depending on the person behind the camera - and here I mention intention, styles, etc. Real life can, sometimes, look like a dream, or a thought, or a memory. So I want to use photography both as a way to express my thoughts, and make them "real". Like portraying the way I see things.

@ limr: By the way, I just have to say I really loved your Empire Hotel picture. I love the noir setting, and the picture was mind blowing. Reminds me of my passage thru NYC.

Sounds like you have a purpose and that's a really good start! Wanting to say something through an image gives you direction, and that drives all the other stuff about improving the technical skills needed so that you can say what you want to say.

E muito obrigada tambem! :happyblush:

Welcome to the site.

Hello and welcome to TPF....

Welcome to the forum Barco. It is time to take your camera of Doom and start shooting. You have proven quite capable of talkin' the talk ... now it's time to start walking' the walk. We all eagerly waiting to see your stuff.

Gary

Thanks for the welcoming! That is very much appreciated.

I have been shooting some things around my own house, trying to use what I've been reading about. That is not easy, since it is a lot to get used to, and to learn.

I hope to be able to show something here soon (maybe this weekend, when I can go outdoors)! I hope you guys don't get bothered with my lack of ability!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back