Guess this aircraft

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_1565.jpg

A-10 Thunderbolt II as was said above. That is also the business end of a 30mm Avenger cannon which the A-10 was constructed to accommodate.

I guess it was pretty easy with the dead-giveaway. That GAU-8 30mm is pretty sweet! The A-10 is also one of my favorite airplanes.

The A-10 is pretty distinctive from any angle. In fact I can't think of any view that it could be confused with anything else.

I used to work around the edges of Ft Campbell, KY a lot back in the 70's and they would fly mock ground attack there from time to time. Loved to watch them make attack runs.

The A-10 (Warthog) is a unique looking, pretty airplane, though in kind of a butt-ugly way.
It's a sub-sonic, ground troops support aircraft designed to have great maneuverability at low speeds and altitude, so it doesn't need be as sleek as fighter planes.
Grunts love seeing an A-10 that is strafing the opposition or plugging the opposition's tanks with uranium-depleted rounds from that 30 mm canon.
Because they are exposed to ground fire Hawg drivers sit in a titanium armor "bathtub" that can defeat up to 23 mm canon fire, and some 57 mm rounds. Plus interior surfaces of the tub directly exposed to the pilot are covered by a multi-layer nylon spall shield to protect against shell fragmentation.

Having lived in Tucson for a lot of years I saw a lot of A-10's, because Davis-Monthan AFB is the main A-10 training base.
At one point on a training misson out of DM, an A-10 disappeared. It was a pretty big news story for a while.
Craig D. Button - Wikipedia

Back in the day we pretty regularly saw U-2s too.

Hawg drivers work for a living:

The A-10 (Warthog) is a unique looking, pretty airplane, though in kind of a butt-ugly way.
It's a sub-sonic, ground troops support aircraft designed to have great maneuverability at low speeds and altitude, so it doesn't need be as sleek as fighter planes.
Grunts love seeing an A-10 that is strafing the opposition or plugging the opposition's tanks with uranium-depleted rounds from that 30 mm canon.
Because they are exposed to ground fire Hawg drivers sit in a titanium armor "bathtub" that can defeat up to 23 mm canon fire, and some 57 mm rounds. Plus interior surfaces of the tub directly exposed to the pilot are covered by a multi-layer nylon spall shield to protect against shell fragmentation.

Having lived in Tucson for a lot of years I saw a lot of A-10's, because Davis-Monthan AFB is the main A-10 training base.
At one point on a training misson out of DM, an A-10 disappeared. It was a pretty big news story for a while.
Craig D. Button - Wikipedia

Back in the day we pretty regularly saw U-2s too.

Hawg drivers work for a living:

Awesome

The ultimate in close-air support. I am surprised the Marines don't have any, as they invented close-air support. I guess those puppies aren't carrier capable.

Most reactions

Back