TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flic.kr
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
5cb11b419d6e540a8cf3c51df83504a5.jpg

Comments and critique are welcome.

First off this is a great portrait attempt.
The pose is perfect and I like the framing however I would have pulled back just a bit to get both ears in.

The nearest eye is where you want your focus to be. If the eye is sharp the picture will be much better.

Looking at the available light I could see why you would use a fast aperture but in this case it has caused a very shallow depth of field resulting in only the nose being in focus.

Brighter lighting (open window/off camera flash) will allow you to stop down the aperture and gain depth of field.

Hope this helps.

I have it with eyes in focus, and also all his face with slightly similar pose. But I just loved this one showing his oldy gray mouth, when I see this picture it just amazes me, bcz he's 16 years old :) also his pupils are gray, but it didn't look so good. But all that it's owner things ^^ and that's why I posted it here

I didn't quite pay attention to the light, thanks. I'll try to be more careful about that when he wants to pose again[emoji14]

Thank you for sharing your opinions. I appreciate it.

Edit: he doesn't obey me at all [emoji23] I can't make him stand still so framing and posing isn't that easy. On this "pose" he was actually paying attention to the sounds coming from the other room.

Last edited:
The focus is off. The DOF is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too shallow. The image is underexposed. The colors are out of whack.

Cute pup though. Keep trying.

The focus is off. The DOF is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too shallow. The image is underexposed. The colors are out of whack.

Cute pup though. Keep trying.
Thank you for answering, i appreciate it.

I just want to ask why underexposed, bcz his color looks pretty much like that.

Well, underexposed isn't really related to the color issues, though it can amplify them.

The color is just off. It's too orange. I have no doubt he looks similar to that, but after years and years (And YEARS) of doing this, you just get a sense of what colors are supposed to look like.

Also... keep in mind it may look correct on your monitor, but your monitor is almost assuredly NOT color corrected. Mine are. Monitor to monitor colors vary a TON. If you happen to have an iPad or iPhone, I find that their colors are DAMNED close and you can likely compare and MAYBE see a difference. (mind you... part of the ability to see the difference comes from experience)

Also looks like it may be partially a color space issue.. when I open it in photoshop it has a little less red to it.

I understand what you meant now, thank you.

I don't want to "insist" on my mistakes but rethinking that the thing that I liked about this one picture is the gray mouth, I thought that maybe another crop would make it more evident.
Just as an exercise, abusing from your kindness:

fc86087310e5b4562b3734ccf9c77eeb.jpg

Still OOF and DOF is really shallow.
Hard to avoid... pictures of animals or people need to have eyes in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back