handfishing

The one show about noodling is a fake. I have never noodled with my feet and see this guy go in the water with no stringer and come out with a fish on a stringer? It was pole caught and tied there for the show. I have watched it a few times and they make to many mistakes that show it to be for the money only. I should make my own show. I know some good ole country boys that would do it right and make ya laugh all day for a few beer's and a bar-b-que at the end of the day

I have never worn gloves and it is kinda nut's to do it but more people get hurt in football than we do noodling. It is catfish only. I have been there in Missouri but never noodled there. I went noodling in South Arkansas and was having a blast until I saw an alligator in the water. Was th eend of noodling then. I dont think a gator would come out as easy as a catfish.....

How about you guys just keep noodling for catfish and gator and I will just have my camera ready! :)

Arkansas River? What is the state record in OK?

I also like to catch them but in a more conventional method. Two 5/0 hooks with a live bream or Black Salty on a Carolina Rig.

Nice flathead.

Why would you think anything on television is fake?

Arkansas River? What is the state record in OK?

I also like to catch them but in a more conventional method. Two 5/0 hooks with a live bream or Black Salty on a Carolina Rig.

Nice flathead.

Why would you think anything on television is fake?

Do you fly fish as well? I had the opportunity to spend the day with Ron Yarborough, the pro. fly fisherman, on the White River not to long ago. He taught me how to fly fish. It was very challenging, but we had alot of fun. I kept Ron rather entertained I am sure.

I have noodled alot in the arkansas river but this was the Neosho....Not to sure what the record here is. And it really isnt a flathead it is a chanel, i only reffered to it as a disabled flathead cause some law abiding citizen told me was against the law to noodle anything but flathead's. Another fun fish to get around here is snagging Spoonbill at the Kerr Dam. Ya want to see an ugly fish google them. Good eating though and the egg's are awesome and sell very high in reseraunt's. I hear they are awesome. Fish egg's just don't sound right. But then neither do Calf Fries, Now Turkey fries is another story, that is a good food right there.....Fly fishing is a challenge for sure, but a really fun way to fish after you get the hang of it...

I find this photo offensive. As an activist for the humane treatment of disabled animals I do not appreciate seening a disabled flathead being taken advantage of like this.

It is disgusting and I can not believe that any sane, respectable person would do this.

I have a really hard time taking so-called activists seriously with these kinds of arguments. The very act of EATING another living creature is inhumane, barbaric and unnecessary. How it's accomplished is kind of beside the point.

It's like saying "oh yeah, I ate your cousin George, but no worries, he didn't suffer".

I think it's joke. The argument is that these fish can be legally caught by disabled persons, but Rex is purposefully misconstruing the argument to mean that the fish can only be caught, if it's disabled.

When I was a kid I used to "noodle" pogies. Sharks would drive these little fish into the bays in Maine, and I'd go out and catch them with my hand.

I stopped once I saw a blue shark swim over my foot.

Kathy, fly fishing is my all-time favorite. I fell in love with fly fishing when in high school (long time ago) and nothing has changed. I bet you did rather well with a fly rod. Did you have fun?

I knew what kind of fish it was but did not want to start another debate. That is a big channel cat. For you of those that do not know, the channel cat does not get as big as a flathead or blue but pound for pound is a stronger fighter. Both a flathead and blue can reach 100+ pounds. The US record for a blue is something over 150 lbs. The flathead is over a hundred but not sure what the US record is now. Fishing for the big ones is getting to be more popular all the time. It is a lot of fun. It is as close as we can get to salt water fishing without hitting the ocean or Gulf. The catfish is being recognized as a real game fish. It has also brought about some conservation efforts to protect the great big ones. I catch and release the big ones and eat everything else. Do not want you to get the wrong impression.

I do not know what are regulations are in Arkansas concerning noodling but I think it is legal with some restrictions.

Spoonbills (shovellers-shovel bill) are being commercially fished here for the roe (eggs) or Caviar. It is getting to be a problem. Every jetty on the river has a net by it.

Fishing for the big one is getting to be more popular all the time. It is a lot of fun. It is as close as we can get to salt water fishing without hitting the ocean or Gulf. It is fun to catch big fish and they do fight like Hell and it takes hefty tackle. A thirty or forty pounder can be a real challenge especially if you are fishing around wood or brush. Catfish normally first go straight down then head for cover. The object is to try and stop him before he hits the bushes but it does not always happen that way.

For you do-gooders, we throw anything over ten pounds back because the smaller fish are better to eat. My preference is between three and five pounds; however, the very best is one that can be pan fried whole. Leaving the head adds flavor and gives you something to converse with while dining.

Can yall tell I may be considered a country boy? I love the great outdoors.

A little bit if info for yall that do not know the score. Sportsmen are responsible for the abundance of wildlife in the US today. Whether it is fish, waterfowl, small game, or big game, hunters and fisherman footed the bill and made sure it happened. We do killum' and eatum' but more importantly, we make sure wildlife will be here for generations to come. Guns, ammo, and tackle have an 11% tax from the Robinson-Pittman act that goes straight to US Fish and Wildlife.

PETA="People Eating Tasty Animals"

Yall have a great day.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Kathy, fly fishing is my all-time favorite. I fell in love with fly fishing when in high school (long time ago) and nothing has changed. I bet you did rather well with a fly rod. Did you have fun?

I had a blast. Learning how to fly fish with a pro who knows all of the "hot spots" was alot easier than throwing on some waders and trying to figure it out by myself that is for sure. This is who took me fly fishing and where I was at. Ron Yarborough's White River Flyguide I don't like to eat fish though. I am a catch and release kinda girl. Now, fresh king crab legs and lobster is another story. I lived near San Diego for 4 years and would go out on the 1/2 day fishing trips quite often. Those were a really good time. I will have to scan some pictures of the fish I caught on those excursions. When I say I, I need to include the four other guys that helped me reel the fish in when I had one on the line. Some were really hard to bring in.

I would love to see pics of your fly fishing adventure. I am familiar with Ron Yarborough in some shape form or fashion. Most of my fly fishing is warm water in the southern part of the state.

I have eaten very good seafood on the West Coast; however, a Maine Lobster is the best there is.

IL is a long way from San Diego. Never done any fishing in the Pacific but it is on my list.

Have a great evening.

Roger

I mostly release all fish but a nice chanel or blue is good for a cook out. For the larger cats the gamis keep him off bottom. Over 50 lbs gets to the bottom and quits moving its over. might as well cut the line and go home. I llove the chanel for the fight. They out do all other catfish by far. The 25 in the pic was no easy guy to get out, but I have had tougher fish...To many people keeping the bigger cats ruins everything for the sportfishing. I have noted folks taking out large numbers of very large cats and leaving them on the bank for the wildlife....it ruins it for the rest of us......Heres a big cat but I would never noodle this guy
View attachment 25162

The big cat is an Okie also. I have never seen a mountain lion this large.

Big cat and it would not be a good idea to stick you hand in it's mouth. Do=gooders in CA are learning how dangerous they can be. The blue in the pic below was caught in the Tennessee River. She was released. The doves were not released but eaten. It took a lot of energy to shoot that many. I was hungry. The Bolivians like them also and I assure the bird boys were whupped!

074-1.jpg

birdboyandme2.jpg

DSCN0657.jpg

I love eating tasty dead animals.

Grits

I did not like retirement and just opened an online sporting goods business and am trying desperately to learn something about product photography. Any suggestions from yall will be very much appreciated. I need all the help I can get.

016_Unertl_12X_Ultra_Varmint_zpsf68e8a3f.jpg

Yall have a great evening.

Roger

I did not like retirement and just opened an online sporting goods business and am trying desperately to learn something about product photography. Any suggestions from yall will be very much appreciated. I need all the help I can get.

016_Unertl_12X_Ultra_Varmint_zpsf68e8a3f.jpg

Yall have a great evening.

Roger

You should start your own thread on the subject. I'm sure you will get more help as many might not even make it to page 3 on this thread.

Most reactions

Back