Hard Camera Case On A Budget

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally found one! Went out with the wife today to do some after christmas shopping (gift cards and all that) We were in Lowes and I was idly looking through the tool boxes and I came across a nice hard Task Force tool box. The exterior is the silver knurled stuff with metal caps on all the corners. Nice handle, locks on either side, etc...

However, the inside is the real kicker. It's just one big open area with a huge block of that pick-n-pluck foam. You know, the stuff that you can pull little cubes out of to form shapes of whatever you want to hold. I snatched one up immediately and brought it home, and it works PERFECT as a hard camera case. I've got my D40 body, 18-55 lens, 55-200 lens, two small'ish flashes, my battery charger and cord and some filters all in there in their own little padded compartments. There's also still some room left.

The BEST part... It was $25. Granted, it's not of the insane durability of pelican cases and such, but for the price, I think it is EXCELLENT, and it's exactly what I've been looking for in a camera case.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else here has been looking for a nice hard case on a budget like I have. I'll post some pics here in a little while so everyone can see what I am talking about.

As promised:

Interior:

3139249737_e328d11c86_o.jpg

Exterior:

3140079588_e18a128847_o.jpg

Good on ya mate! Now get a couple medical biohazard stickers to slap on it. BTW that is half the price of replacement pluck foam for your typical pelican case, so maybe you should grab another one for expansion or reconfiguration.

-Shea

That will work for most instances. I also went the military surplus route. Pelican and Hardigg are government contractors and they have tons of crap on the second hand market. Defense Department being as they are, they use once and discard these cases. Same cases as the commercial ones except with a few scuffs and dings. Oh, and Olive Drab.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back