HDR before and after process

Let me get something clear about what I'm saying.
Doing HDR with multiple bracketed shots is surely the best way. What I'm trying to say is that you can do it also by one shot with equal but not the same results. I've used the phrase in my previous post as well. My opposition is on the fact that all the cameras have the same dynamic range.

Equal but not the same?

Sorry... scratching my head over that one.

And no, cameras do not have the same dynamic range... however...

upload_2016-4-28_21-42-48.png

You're talking about a difference of 2.5 stops between the top and the bottom. It's not nothing, but it's not exactly massive... esp when you figure you're likely to be talking about an average difference of somewhere around half that between whatever you're using... and whatever anyone else is using. Not statistically significant.

Equal but not the same?

Sorry... scratching my head over that one.

And no, cameras do not have the same dynamic range... however...

View attachment 120514

You're talking about a difference of 2.5 stops between the top and the bottom. It's not nothing, but it's not exactly massive... esp when you figure you're likely to be talking about an average difference of somewhere around half that between whatever you're using... and whatever anyone else is using. Not statistically significant.
Of course they do not have the same dynamic. I'm telling this posts behind.

Now about my comment equal. I used this word to describe the result of an hdr from one picture wanting to say that is close to an hdr made of bracketed shots. Equal means that something is almost the same right? If not then I'm not using English properly. :1247:

No, equal means exactly the same.

1 equals 1
1 does not equal 1.00000000000000000000000000000000000001

Same and equal are ... well... the same. And equal.

Anyway, sounds like we have a language barrier here, so I won't go on arguing the point. Sorry I didn't catch that before.

No, equal means exactly the same.

1 equals 1
1 does not equal 1.00000000000000000000000000000000000001

Same and equal are ... well... the same. And equal.

Anyway, sounds like we have a language barrier here, so I won't go on arguing the point. Sorry I didn't catch that before.

It's ok. There is no reason I arguing about our hobby. Seems I'll have to be more careful with the words I'm using to be precise in want I want to say.

Anyway I find the discussion very interesting.

I'll skip the comments about HDR as I think they have already been covered. What I do notice is it looks like your horizon is off, the right side is lower then the left. Looks like you tried to use the rule of thirds with the horizon and the water in the bottom 1/3. Although I see what you were trying to do with the rocks and beach, I don't believe you accomplished your goal as there's not much here that's "dynamic". However, I do think had you done a long exposure you could have gotten some great results with this composition.

I'll skip the comments about HDR as I think they have already been covered. What I do notice is it looks like your horizon is off, the right side is lower then the left. Looks like you tried to use the rule of thirds with the horizon and the water in the bottom 1/3. Although I see what you were trying to do with the rocks and beach, I don't believe you accomplished your goal as there's not much here that's "dynamic". However, I do think had you done a long exposure you could have gotten some great results with this composition.
Thank you for your interesting comments. I did use the rule of thirds here.

Ack...too much dissection. Does every photo need a focal point? It's just a nice scene with lots of atmosphere. And the clouds look great in the HDR photo, it feels like I am really there.

Most reactions

Back