Headlights at Night

kia99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not sure if this is worth posting but it was my first attempt manipulating shutter speeds with moving traffic

headlights.jpg

chips said:
wow! nice shot, they're like giant light sabers

Thank you.

I can't believe how complex photography is, and would welcome any advice that would have improved this shot.

It was taken with a Fuji S602, no tripod but resting on a barrier (I need a tripod). I really can't remember what the settings were.

I now take a notepad with me a jot them down as I go.

kia99 said:
I now take a notepad with me a jot them down as I go.

Check your manual, your camera may have created an EXIF file. I'm under the impression that all quality digital cams such as yours automatically create EXIF files for each shot.

nice shot a lil bright for my likings but still intersting at that... i agree with rebel or u could check the original file by just loadin it in ur comp and veiwing the properties i believe

canonrebel said:
your camera may have created an EXIF file.

woooooow :D mine does that too, and i never knew! thanks!

kia, that's a pretty cool shot, but i think there's too much happening in it for me to recommend how to make it better. at the left side, the lights are gashes torn out of space, really 2-D and abstract. at the left you've got the streetlights which seem to behave like "normal" lights (not strung out) and the streaky car lights are just below them, creating a strange sci-fi (cant think of better analogy) feeling. both of these are cool, but they don't seem to be happy with each other in the same image.
argh, sorry if you weren't looking for a critique. i realize this isn't the critique section but you asked for advice.
kia99 said:
Not sure if this is worth posting but it was my first attempt manipulating shutter speeds with moving traffic
hell yeah it's worth posting; be bold! :D
i think i would suggest focusing on a simpler scene, that's all.
i like doing nighttime extended exposure shots too. it's really a surprise what comes up, especially when you're dealing with cars and other moving stuff.

StvShoop said:
kia, that's a pretty cool shot, but i think there's too much happening in it for me to recommend how to make it better. at the left side, the lights are gashes torn out of space, really 2-D and abstract. at the left you've got the streetlights which seem to behave like "normal" lights (not strung out) and the streaky car lights are just below them, creating a strange sci-fi (cant think of better analogy) feeling. both of these are cool, but they don't seem to be happy with each other in the same image.
argh, sorry if you weren't looking for a critique. i realize this isn't the critique section but you asked for advice.

i think i would suggest focusing on a simpler scene, that's all.
i like doing nighttime extended exposure shots too. it's really a surprise what comes up, especially when you're dealing with cars and other moving stuff.

Thanks for the comments and advise. I think you are dead right concerning the clutter and have been looking at some of the other pictures on this site of similar type.

Interesting about the EXIF feature, I will have a look tonight. That would be so useful, especially as I am learning each and every day.

Photography, where have you been all my life :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back