Hello new and would appreciate your advice :)

louisa86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! :)

I have been practising photography for 6 months, before this time i had never even owned a camera :confused:.

I am self taught and would really appreciate any advice that you have for me on the below. I just dont seem to be getting the effect that i want, i am currently using a free editing programme called Picnik and not sure if my horizons would be increased by using photoshop, with a £1,000 price tag though im not jumping to get it.

Appreciate your thoughts and any advice you have on how to make my photos better, also its not very sunny where i live most of the time and i wondered if you had any tips for taking photos when it is grey and cloudy. Thank you!!

My flicker page www.flickr.com/photos/merikas

. I just dont seem to be getting the effect that i want, i am currently using a free editing programme called Picnik and not sure if my horizons would be increased by using photoshop, with a £1,000 price tag though im not jumping to get it.

Appreciate your thoughts and any advice you have on how to make my photos better, also its not very sunny where i live most of the time and i wondered if you had any tips for taking photos when it is grey and cloudy. Thank you!!

My flicker page www.flickr.com/photos/merikas
Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

I checked out your flickr photos, and actually they look pretty good to me. You do seem to centre your subject in the frame most of the time though - this can be fine, but trying mixing it up a bit and read up on composition guidelines like the "rule of thirds".

Photoshop is the "standard" but is not really necessary. I can't comment on Picnik as I haven't used it. My favourite is Paint Shop Pro, now by Corel, which I think is around $100 for the full version. If you really want to save money, you can learn GIMP - it's free and still very powerful, though I personally didn't find it very intuitive to use.

For taking photos of people, direct sunlight is actually a bad thing, causing harsh unflattering shadows. An overcast day gives better light - but you can still improve on that by using a reflector or off-camera flash.

Hi
You dont need to spend anywhere near a thousand pounds for Photoshop. Full CS4 is a professional package which the vast majority of us will never need. I bought photoshop elements 7 on amazon in the uk for a mere 30 quid. New and sealed.
Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software
It has a large amount of the full version and probably more than any beginner will ever need. I think it would take me years to understand all of it. many things can be done with elements that can be done with full PS but they may take longer. Meaning the full version for pros has quicker ways of doing stuff....time is money etc....
i had a look at your flickr, there are some very nice shots especially the self portrait. Id be happy to take shots like that. One thing i would suggest, when taking portraits outside is, if the sky is overcast try and leave the sky out of the photo as it often looks white / blown.
you are also lucky to have had a nice model for some shots too which is not often easy to come by. id probably opt for a shallower depth of field on the portraits (if you are using a camera that has manaul control?)
perhaps join a local camera club or photographic group, often they have club competitions for critique of your work. often helps to make you think ablout what you are shooting. where abouts are you in the uk?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you very much for the replies :)

iolair- thank you for the kind words :), you are right about my subjects being centred, i think i am playing it a bit safe at the moment as i am just starting out, i dont know a great deal about photography at all to be honest, there arnt any night classes available in my area at the moment so thats why i thought joining this forum would be a great help, i have been looking at external flashes today on the net, looks like a good idea!! may have to invest thank you :).

pujapin- I actually have photoshop 7 at home, someone gave it to me a long while ago and i wasnt sure if it was any good so didnt install it, i have a photoshoot on Saturday so i will install it and see what it can do :D.

Thanks for the tip regarding the sky i will definately try that! i thought the self portrait was lame haha i feel to self consious to take my tri pod in the garden so thought the stairs will have to do!! and yes thank you i have the prettiest friends :). I am in Cleethorpes and as i dont know a great deal about photography i thought joining a club would be a bit embarassing! everyone has to start somewhere i guess. :)

i knew hardly anything and i joined the club in stratford upon avon, learnt a lot in the past year. elements will do everthing you need and more.

I think these are pretty good all things considered. Keep at it!

Thank you very much for the replies :)

iolair- thank you for the kind words :), you are right about my subjects being centred, i think i am playing it a bit safe at the moment as i am just starting out, i dont know a great deal about photography at all to be honest, there arnt any night classes available in my area at the moment so thats why i thought joining this forum would be a great help, i have been looking at external flashes today on the net, looks like a good idea!! may have to invest thank you :).

pujapin- I actually have photoshop 7 at home, someone gave it to me a long while ago and i wasnt sure if it was any good so didnt install it, i have a photoshoot on Saturday so i will install it and see what it can do :D.

Thanks for the tip regarding the sky i will definately try that! i thought the self portrait was lame haha i feel to self consious to take my tri pod in the garden so thought the stairs will have to do!! and yes thank you i have the prettiest friends :). I am in Cleethorpes and as i dont know a great deal about photography i thought joining a club would be a bit embarassing! everyone has to start somewhere i guess. :)
Do you have access to a public library?

Here is a list of online resources on composition: Photography Composition Articles Library

Most reactions

Back