Help a newbie buy a lens

redu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a beginner into the technical side of photography and I have been having trouble figuring out which lens to buy, so I found this forum I thought there might be someone here who can help.

I have a Canon 400D and a Canon EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 and I am looking for a wide-angle lens with a large aperture. I need something around 20mm, but I am getting confused about the whole EF/EF-S thing.

Is 18-55mm on the EF-S the same as on a EF lens or are the numbers adjusted to the smaller sensor, so that it appear as 18-55mm would on a EF, or is it just the mount that is the only difference between Ef and EF-S?

So to get a circa 20mm on the 400D, what lens should I buy, considering I need an aperture of F1.4 or F1.8?

I have been thinking about the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF, but that won't be a 20mm on the smaller sensor, right?

Thanks in advance, I really hope someone her can help!

Welcome to the forum.

The focal length of a lens is a constant...18mm is always 18mm, it doesn't change from one camera to another. However, the field of view changes if you go from a crop camera (like yours) to a full frame camera.

Now, EF-S lenses have a slightly different mount and a smaller image circle than EF lenses. EF-S lenses are for crop bodies only. EF lenses can be used on either crop or full frame bodies.

On you camera, the EF-S 18-55mm lens will give you about the same wide view as the EF 17-40mm F4 lens. The 20mm lens won't be as wide.

If you want a wider angle of view on your camera, you need to look at something like the EF-S 10-22mm. Another option is the Sigma 10-20mm. If you really need a wide aperture, then the Tonkina 11-16mm F2.8 is an option.

Do you really need F2.8 on such a wide lens though?

If you are looking for something wide, you can check the Sigma 10-20.

Do you really need F2.8 on such a wide lens though?
I dont know much, but why wouldn't I need a big aperture on a wide angle lens?

I am leaning towards the Sigma 20mm f1.8 because it has the big aperture, and I dont really need it to me a zoom, like the 10-20mm. But is there something I dont know about wide angle and big apertures?

Thanks

Maybe we could help you better if you could tell us what you intend to use the lens for that you don't get with your 18-55.

A wide angle lens has a broader field of view and therefore has more light overall entering so a larger aperture is not always needed to get a decent exposure...

Wide angle lenses also tend to distort the image so if you want that effect, go wide.......otherwise, step back some more..

Probably the most expensive part of my equipment are the lenses that I bought that ended up not doing the job for me. I shoot Canon . . bought canon's cheaper lenses . . sold them and lost $$$ . . . bought Sigma . . sold them and lost $$$ . . bought Tamron . . sold them and lost $$$. Learned my lesson the hard way and bought Canon "L" glass. No matter how many cameras Canon dangles and talks me into buying I will always have the good glass! Best investment you can make, and much cheaper than trial and error!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back