Help for final decisions on my Nikon DSLR

AJRacca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alrighty everyone! So I'm getting my camera sooner than I expected, cuz my bf is the BEST!!! lol anywho I've decided on the body that I'm getting. I'm just having a little trouble deciding what lens to get. I have a 50mm lens for portraits and I'm looking for a lens for like kids sports; such as soccer, baseball, etc.
So here are my options:

Package A:
Nikon D7000 kit lens ($1,499.99)
Nikon 50-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR zoom ($310.99)
LowPro - Flipside 200 camera Backpack ($64.99)
16gb Memory Card
Filter for the 50-300mm lens

Package B:

Nikon D7000 ($1,199.99)
Nikon 50-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR zoom ($310.99)
LowPro-Flipside 200 Camera Backpack ($64.99)
16gb Memory card
Filter for Zoom Lens

Package C:
Nikon D7000 Body ($1,199.99)
Lowpro- Flipside 200 Camera Backpack ($64.99)
16gb memory card
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Telephoto Lens ($589.99)
(if i want package B I have to wait a month or two for the zoom lens, BUT I'm not in a hurry to purchase this lens right away)

Package D:
Nikon D7000 kit lens ($1,499.99)
Lowpro- Flipside 200 Backpack ($64.99)
(2) 16gb Memory Cards

Which package do you prefer I should get? And my question is which zoom lens is better? I've read reviews on both zoom lens. The 70-300 af faster, which is better for sports. I also wanted to know which memory card do you all use or which ones do you prefer. I'm buying all my equipment at best buy because I have a best buy account with them and my limit it $1,700.00 . That's why for package C I would have to wait for the zoom lens, which I'm ok with. I appreciate everyone's input and help in advanced. :thumbup:

I'm sure you are going to get as many different answers as responders and you'll still have to make up your own mind in the end. Almost everyone who has a particular lens or flash will recommend the same. I'm going to go against the grain.
Leave those cheap zooms at the store. You already have a decent 50mm prime and your planning to get a pretty decent body, which has a focus motor. So go and get yourself some decent af-d primes. Add a 28 f2.8, a 85 f1.8 and a 135 f2.8. You'll find these to be inexpensive on the second hand market. You'll also end up with a very versatile and high quality set of lenses. Use your Best Buy account for a flash, memory cards, tripod, bag, lens and sensor cleaning supplies, backup usb disk drive, and a filter or two. (CPL and ND). You already have had an unsatisfactory experience with kit zooms (18-55 which you sold I presume because you didn't like it) so save some dosh for a decent f2.8 afs zoom, but in the meantime you'll still have a high quality kit.

I'm sure you are going to get as many different answers as responders and you'll still have to make up your own mind in the end. Almost everyone who has a particular lens or flash will recommend the same. I'm going to go against the grain.
Leave those cheap zooms at the store. You already have a decent 50mm prime and your planning to get a pretty decent body, which has a focus motor. So go and get yourself some decent af-d primes. Add a 28 f2.8, a 85 f1.8 and a 135 f2.8. You'll find these to be inexpensive on the second hand market. You'll also end up with a very versatile and high quality set of lenses. Use your Best Buy account for a flash, memory cards, tripod, bag, lens and sensor cleaning supplies, backup usb disk drive, and a filter or two. (CPL and ND). You already have had an unsatisfactory experience with kit zooms (18-55 which you sold I presume because you didn't like it) so save some dosh for a decent f2.8 afs zoom, but in the meantime you'll still have a high quality kit.

Thanks very helpful. gave me good options.

I agree with patrice! Leave those low end zooms at the store!!! The sales guy at best buy talked my hubby into buying the 55-300 which was a wonderful and thoughtful gift to get BUT all it did was sit in my camera bag! I never had the heart to tell him that and I ended up selling it later. Don't waste ur money! If you are looking to photograph your kids u r going to need fast glass....I know cuz I have 3 kids myself! I wouldn't buy anything that's not at least a 2.8. I think best buy has some better lenses on line if you dont have the cash to spend right now. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back