Help for Xmas Photos! 50mm 1.8G lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sunset047, Dec 24, 2017.

1. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your image frame is, say, 36" tall, with a 50mm lens you'd have to be 6 feet away to get the framing shown in the image. Unless you cropped a larger image down to what you're showing us, then a 50mm lens on a crop sensor, set to f/2.2, would have 1.08" of DOF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Try reshooting this at f/4 or even f/5.6. It’ll get you much sharper results.

If you really want the shallow depth of field you’ll need to make super sure to focus on the right spot in single point focus mode, and hold the camera super still. Even the slightest twitch of the camera as the shutter is pressed can cause your image to be out of focus.

It’s often a numbers game with shallow depth of field portraits: take lots of photos to be sure you get some in focus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try focus bracketing as well. Start by focusing in front of the subject, then fire away as you turn the focus ring to move the point of focus behind the subject.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    OP: IN answer to your question, yeah, from farther back, f/2.2 would have given more depth of field. At such close, close distances as the original shot was made at, f/4 to f/5.6 would be a safer bet to get more DOF. Still....his eyes might not be "tack sharp", but overall, the picture is successful I think, and the very shallow depth of field band you had was placed pretty well.

The thing is too, the DOF band can also be thought of as accidentally being "angled" whenever the camera back is angled downward or upward in relation to an absolutely straight-upright target. When the camera is, let's say, angled downward and aimed at a wine bottle placed upright on a table, the DOF may be "angled", and the top and bottom of the bottle will not be equally in-focus. This is why using an aperture like f/2.2 can be even more-problematic than just the slight amount of physical space of the DOF band; that focus band also has to intersect with the actual, in-space placement of objects in the real world. Stop down to f/3.5 with the 50mm lens, and you begin to see fewer serious problems with DOF on closer-range shots; stop down to f/4.5 to f/5.6 and you usually can pull adequate DOF.

YES, these smaller apertures (f/4.5 or f/5.6) create smaller out of focus bokeh balls with the 50mm lens, buuuuut...you get the crisp, sharp focus so many people want to see.

5. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Something not mentioned yet is the ISO 2000. While a higher ISO setting doesn't necessarily affect the sharpness, the post noise reduction will soften the image.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    nothing in that image is tact sharp -- but that looks to be more with the method you saved it with. It's REALLY hard to judge with hat small (size/compression) image.

can you post the original?

7. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I agree, it's probably a "depth of field" issue but you need to post a larger pic
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless