Help with a Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by jubbin2001, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all!

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Tamron F2.8 AF 90mm Non-Di lens ( fairly cheap, compared to a newer DI model). Now from what I was told this lens is basically the same thing as the DI model other than it is an older lens, and has a different coating on the glass. I have tried to find some stuff on it on the internet, but it has been spotty at best.

Is anyone familiar with lens? From the limited information I have gotten, they seem to be a pretty sharp lens, and many people liked them. Any one have some input on it? I figure for $175 the lens looks brand new, and it seems really tempting. Thanks all!!

2. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im not sure about the non-DI version, but the Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Macro has been long renowned for being one of the sharpest lenses available. Sounds good to me. Good luck.

Mark

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm if its not a Digital version find out how it changes and controls the aperture of the lens- aperture control is important and if its an older lens it might not work on your camera body with regard to aperture control. If (as I suspect) it has manual aperture controls then chances are you can do it on the lens itself, though you might find it a might be tricky to get used to at first.

4. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input. I will know more tomorrow. The guy is brining it over so I can attach it to my D80 and check it out. I am guessing it will be much like the Vivitar I already have with a manual aperature ring, just like Overread said. That being said, if it acts like the vivitar, if I keep the lens on anything other than the widest aperature, it doesn't allow me to take pictures with the camera (or I haven't figured out how to do it yet). Other than that, is the glass worth it?

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I have a non-DI one, the "AF-SP" model, with the shiny gray,smooth plastic barrel, in F mount. It is a superb shooter...excellent optics! $175 is a good price for one in decent condition.

6. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd buy it....in fact, if you don't, forward me the info.

7. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the help. Guess I will see what happens tomorrow :thumbup:

8. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just as an update I got the lens. It happened to be a Tamron 90mm SP AF F/2.8 (Model 72E). I have yet to do much with it, other than check that it works. Hopefully I will get a chance to take it out tomorrow. Still had all the original paperwork, lens hood, carrying pouch, caps, box....everything. $150 was the final cost to me :smileys:. It seriously looked brand new.

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    You lucky duck!!!!!! This is a good example of why I repeatedly tell people to look for used macro lenses: people buy them, try them, then do almost nothing with them, then a year or two or three or four years later, they dump them! So they are almost brand new!