Help with a Macro Lens

jubbin2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all!

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Tamron F2.8 AF 90mm Non-Di lens ( fairly cheap, compared to a newer DI model). Now from what I was told this lens is basically the same thing as the DI model other than it is an older lens, and has a different coating on the glass. I have tried to find some stuff on it on the internet, but it has been spotty at best.

Is anyone familiar with lens? From the limited information I have gotten, they seem to be a pretty sharp lens, and many people liked them. Any one have some input on it? I figure for $175 the lens looks brand new, and it seems really tempting. Thanks all!!

Im not sure about the non-DI version, but the Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Macro has been long renowned for being one of the sharpest lenses available. Sounds good to me. Good luck.

Mark

hmm if its not a Digital version find out how it changes and controls the aperture of the lens- aperture control is important and if its an older lens it might not work on your camera body with regard to aperture control. If (as I suspect) it has manual aperture controls then chances are you can do it on the lens itself, though you might find it a might be tricky to get used to at first.

Thanks for the input. I will know more tomorrow. The guy is brining it over so I can attach it to my D80 and check it out. I am guessing it will be much like the Vivitar I already have with a manual aperature ring, just like Overread said. That being said, if it acts like the vivitar, if I keep the lens on anything other than the widest aperature, it doesn't allow me to take pictures with the camera (or I haven't figured out how to do it yet). Other than that, is the glass worth it?

I have a non-DI one, the "AF-SP" model, with the shiny gray,smooth plastic barrel, in F mount. It is a superb shooter...excellent optics! $175 is a good price for one in decent condition.

I'd buy it....in fact, if you don't, forward me the info.

Thanks for the help. Guess I will see what happens tomorrow :thumbup:

Just as an update I got the lens. It happened to be a Tamron 90mm SP AF F/2.8 (Model 72E). I have yet to do much with it, other than check that it works. Hopefully I will get a chance to take it out tomorrow. Still had all the original paperwork, lens hood, carrying pouch, caps, box....everything. $150 was the final cost to me :smileys:. It seriously looked brand new.

You lucky duck!!!!!! This is a good example of why I repeatedly tell people to look for used macro lenses: people buy them, try them, then do almost nothing with them, then a year or two or three or four years later, they dump them! So they are almost brand new!

Most reactions

Back