Here's a couple of portraits I shot in October...

93rdcurrent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.timlorphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2990280124_4f7dca4441_o.jpg

2990280120_77e36e457c_o.jpg

OK, well you didnt really ask for C&C but here I go anyway.

I wish they had a narrower DOF so you could get the feel of the trees but not the details (like cars and people). I also wish the feet/legs weren't chopped and they were not above the camera but more at the level of the camera. Also, I think it would have been nice with a little more fill light, maybe a reflector to the left.

I do love the family. I think they have genuine affection and that comes across. The photo makes me like them, which is a good thing. The mom is beautiful and unique, you could really shoot some less orthadox family photos of them and pull it off.

As mentioned, definitely somewhat underexposed. I think a reflector camera left would have helped greatly. In addition, while the choice of background is good, f8 on a 28mm lens is NOT an ideal portrait setting. You have far too much DoF, and the sharply focused background is very distracting. Also, try to avoid cutting off bits of people, such as the feet of the centre subject. Finally, don't forget to level your images.
All of that aside, the poses and the ideas are good, just a little more work on the technical side.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks very much for the C&C. That is what I am after. I appreciate what I can use to improve my technique. I am getting some lighting and that would have helped here as well as shooting around the 4.5 aperature setting. I didn't have a lot of light left and was feeling a bit rushed to get set up. If I would have changed the aperature maybe that wouldn't have been such a concern. I could always clone the people and cars out with PS... but I should be paying more attention to my background anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back