Hi I'm Mike and I'm an idiot!

mike421

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello everyone i am new to the board and i wanted to say hello. i have always loved to look at and take pictures. i currently have a sony 7.2 dsc-p200 and a sony dsc-f828. up until now i have only used the auto features on my camers. i want to know it all now! i live in PA near the poconos, scenery isnt the problem here. i just dont understand anything!!! ISO, Apature, white balance, what and where to use what........i love nature! i want to photograph landscapes, full moons over water or land, rivers, streams, wildlife......im sure you get the jist. i bought a book on digital photography and it helps some but i need to find some other way. i am a hands on type of guy. taking a ton of pictures is cool but running to the PC to download everything is a pain. help a guy out please........

Read the manual the camera came with. That'll give you a lot of backround information. That's how I started. Books are great however there comes a time to just experiment with different apetures and shutter speeds. By comparing your shots you should get a good idea what works. It'll take a little time before you get comfortable but once you do you'll notice the difference in your photo's. Welcome to the Photo Forum.

I agree that experimentation is the way to go. Photography books are great... the internet is great... putting what you read to use is even better! I was in the Stroudsburg PA area (I think that's right) last year and you're certainly right about the amount of beautiful scenery. I want to see some Centralia photos!!! I was so bummed I missed out on that opportunity.

I would pick a subject and shoot it 50 times. Try different aperatures, different shutter speads, ISOs and White Balances... then go look at the results. What worked and what didn't? It'll teach you more in one afternoon than you'll read in a week.

Keep us posted!

~Dewey

Centralia is something very unique!!! but i think you can find much cooler places to photograph.....tell you what, since the weather is cool now the ground will steam better. i'll post some of my photos....

Hi Mike,

Why not try a photocourse? An introduction into photography. That is what I am doing now. Sometimes it easier to have an actual person in front of you telling you what all this information in books really means. And it's easy to ask questions and be with other people that also struggle with newfound wisdom.
I'm at my second course now and I'm still taking some pretty ugly pictures...but I'm slowly understanding why that is and how to get the pictures I want.

good luck!

pascal

Hi Mike! Welcome to the forum! I'm an idiot too!

Why is it a pain to download stuff? Do you have a card reader?

The best thing is too shoot everything and anything. If you like the results - good. If not - you'll know exactly what you want to improve on.

There's so many things about photography that everybody ends up specializing sooner or later. :)

Another approach is to see a picture you like and then try and copy it.

yes i have a card reader....actually if we were talking about computers i am pretty advanced with both knowledge and equipment. what i meant was that its a pain to go out to a stream or whereever, snap some shots then come back home to really look at them. i may build a laptop to take with me and leave in my car, it will be easier then to see if i hit my main objective........

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest getting some books...but not 'digital photography' books...get something older. The basics of photography have not really changed...shutter speed, aperture, exposure etc...those principles are the same with digital as they are with film. Check your local library.

Most reactions

Back