hiec -hief - hif ?

jamesd1981

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, hoping someone with experience with these file extensions can give me some advice

I have a few devices and some output, heic and some output heif, i also found a reliable converter which comes with a third option of hif

After some browsing i understand heif is the original extension with heic being Apples variant and am wondering if there is much difference between them

regards

James

It’s Apple trying to reinvent the jpeg, again. Useless IMHO.

Nothing wrong with the tried and true formats. All the claims about it making smaller files with higher rez just haven’t been proved out in the real world. And you can’t do anything with them unless you convert to a more standard format anyway, so why bother.

It’s Apple trying to reinvent the jpeg, again. Useless IMHO.

Nothing wrong with the tried and true formats. All the claims about it making smaller files with higher rez just haven’t been proved out in the real world. And you can’t do anything with them unless you convert to a more standard format anyway, so why bother.
I haven`t tried them on social media, but all my viewers and editors on pc and mobile open them and edit them, the only strange thing i have found is editors will import heic, but don`t export heic which seems a bit stupid, it`s not like heic is a new format, it`s been out for years and for all those in the Apple ecosystem you would think heic would have been adopted and supported properly by now

I have been experimenting since i originally posted and can covert my jpegs to heic and can go to below half the file size before any noticable drop in quality

Most reactions

New Topics

Back