Home studio

neea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone.

I'm looking for a few suggestion.
Most of my photography is outside and in natural light.
However, I want to start venturing into portraits. I have a friend that wants me to help her with her modelling portfolio.
I dont have the money right now to go and buy a ton of fancy studio equipment (and dont know if it'd be worth it for the amount i'd use it).

So my question is: How could I make a studio out of regular household things?
Mainly lightly? What kind of lights would be warming or cooling etc? And reflection. Is there something I could use or make inplace of buying fancy umbrellas and stuff?

Thanx in advance for any advice

neea

You can keep cost to a minimum if you're willing to do a bit of 'handyman' stuff. Simple clamp-on reflector units [hardware store stuff] on jury-rigged stands can provide lighting. 200W bulbs will provide enough light [set camera for the proper balance]. A simple screen of very thin fabric or paper can be rigged on the front of the reflector to soften the light. Be careful to leave enough space between the bulb and the screen to keep it from overheating -- the bulbs are really hot. A smaller reflector can provide a key light.

It ain't pretty, but it can be made to work. Total cost can be under $US50.

You can do amazing things with only a window and maybe somthing white to use as a reflector.

Do you have a local photography club where you are? The reason I ask is that they often have a lot of equipment that can be borrowed for assignments such as yours.

Most reactions

Back