How can I add similar spooky moving effects?

JJ_Townley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Newbie here. I'd like to add spooky effects to some of my photos and illustrations similar to the ones shown in the video below. I've searched high and low on the Internet for info on how to and have come up empty. Websites like Canva which appears to be the most advertised on the web are woefully inadequate. Can anyone tell me of a program hopefully free available on the net that allows moving elements to be added to still pics such as hovering or flying bats, falling leaves, moving mist, glowing pulsing pumpkins, bonfires flickering and giving off embers, dancing skeletons and the like? Any help to achieve this would be greatly appreciated, thanks. JJ

Hello and welcome, there is lots of editing software online just google what you want. Good luck.... :onthego:

I'm confused. You want to add movement to a photo. It won't be a photo at that point. It'll be a movie. Or a GIF.

Hello and welcome, there is lots of editing software online just google what you want. Good luck.... :onthego:
I've tried extensively. None give the effects like in the video example. Most are just mickey-mouse. I have a feeling this is a huge project.

Photoshop.
I watched a photoshop video of making a pumpkin glow. It was nothing like in the video example with pulsating eyes and sparks flying off. Afraid to spend $500 just to get something free Canva can render.

I'm confused. You want to add movement to a photo. It won't be a photo at that point. It'll be a movie. Or a GIF.
Yeah, I suppose it would be a looped GIF because some of these videos go on for three hours. It's something like a Windows 95 screensaver called Haunted House that was pretty advanced for its time:

The effects you've shown are not photographs, they are videos. They might be GIFs looping over and over, but GIFs are videos, too. this isn't photography, it's videography. These are not image effects, they are video effects. They are either shot as video, or animated by an artist or a computer as video.

If you want moving effects, you need to plan for video. It's not something you can just plop onto an image.

The effects you've shown are not photographs, they are videos. They might be GIFs looping over and over, but GIFs are videos, too. this isn't photography, it's videography. These are not image effects, they are video effects. They are either shot as video, or animated by an artist or a computer as video.

If you want moving effects, you need to plan for video. It's not something you can just plop onto an image.
Ahhh...thank you so much for alerting me to this. I've been chasing the wrong rabbit.

Hi there,

Have a look for JASC ANIMATION SHOP 3. It is a very old software but works perfectly well for the type of effects you are looking to reproduce.
JASC_ANIMATION_Shop.jpg

Three frames with a flood fill produces this:

pumpkin_01.gif

pumpkin_02.gif

5 Minutes later.........

flames_01.gif

Have Fun !!!

Last edited:
Hi! Yeah, what you've asked about is animation, not video, and you can try using something like a photo animation software to create an effect like this (perfect for if you want a slideshow with animated images as a result). The one recommended above also looks great, I haven't personally tried it but I just looked into it and i seems to be really good.

Hi! Yeah, what you've asked about is animation, not video, and you can try using something like a photo animation software to create an effect like this (perfect for if you want a slideshow with animated images as a result). The one recommended above also looks great, I haven't personally tried it but I just looked into it and i seems to be really good.
Thank you, Sunrise. I'm beginning to suspect that doing such animation takes a real expert's handiwork and cannot be achieved by amateurs such as myself on free lower-level websites which cater to pretty primitive effects such as the flashing pumpkin. I'll either have to hire someone or just abandon the project.

Thanks to one and all for your responses to my inquiry.

Thank you, Sunrise. I'm beginning to suspect that doing such animation takes a real expert's handiwork and cannot be achieved by amateurs such as myself on free lower-level websites which cater to pretty primitive effects such as the flashing pumpkin. I'll either have to hire someone or just abandon the project.

Thanks to one and all for your responses to my inquiry.
Yes, hiring someone might be the best option here. Check out Reddit, there are lots of communities for creators that do commissioned work, you may find someone there!

Most reactions

Back