How crappy are these lenses?

ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...=-1&productId=5937848&bct=t1004;c1022;c914962

Or:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...-1&productId=13145707&bct=t1004;c1022;c914962

Ever the stingy bastard (read, "student") I am always looking for good values. I am looking for something well below 28mm, not horribly slow, but at a budget price. Wanting to take it with me on our honeymoon, which begins next Sunday and will include some really scenic landscape opportunities.

If these lenses are going to suck big green donkey things, do you have any other suggestions?

I had a cheapie 18-38 Samyang, which I believe make/made Quantaray, and it was surprisingly good.

The pics were very good if stopped down to f5.6 or smaller and at f8-f16 wer impressive IMHO.

This lens had one HUGE drawback, although you could often work around it, and it flared horribly if any sliver of the Sun got into the photo.

I now have a Zenitar 16mm that I got on ebay for $99. It also flares but otherwise is quite good. I have posted several pics here in the forums using it.

Premium ultrawides are verrrry cool but for the price I have always gotten by quite well with the cheapies. The wideangle effect is what grabs the eye.

My $0.02. YMMV.

LWW

I don't know much about those particular lenses...but I've got a thought.

If a lens will allow you to get a shot that you would otherwise not be able to get, then accepting its flaw is a little easier. Especially for something like a honnymoon...when you look back at these photos...years from now...chances are you won't look at the poor edge sharpness and say 'Darn, I wish I had a better lens that day'. Photo can serve as reminders of when we were there, regardless of their absolute quality. I was reminded of this just yesterday, I was looking through one of my fiancé's old photo albums and about half of the photos were out of focus...some of them really badly out of focus...but that does not matter to the family when they look back and remember. I've got a few, less than spectacular lenses that make great 4x6 photos.

Wow...that was a little wordy...and somewhat off topic...sorry. :)

Big Mike said:
I don't know much about those particular lenses...but I've got a thought.

If a lens will allow you to get a shot that you would otherwise not be able to get, then accepting its flaw is a little easier. Especially for something like a honnymoon...when you look back at these photos...years from now...chances are you won't look at the poor edge sharpness and say 'Darn, I wish I had a better lens that day'. Photo can serve as reminders of when we were there, regardless of their absolute quality. I was reminded of this just yesterday, I was looking through one of my fiancé's old photo albums and about half of the photos were out of focus...some of them really badly out of focus...but that does not matter to the family when they look back and remember. I've got a few, less than spectacular lenses that make great 4x6 photos.

Wow...that was a little wordy...and somewhat off topic...sorry. :)

LOL, thanks Mike, it's a good point. And you're right about the memories. Some of my favorite photos I've taken of my daughter were with a APS p&s Elph that happened to have a zoom, LOL!!

But some of our excursions we've planned include places like Chichen Itsa, and boat rides to some barrier reef islands off of Belize etc. Some places that have some fabulous photographic opportunities, and it may be the last time I visit there. So I do want some quality shots as well. And I'm not going to buy a lense that will just get me through one trip. If I'm going to add to the "arsenal" then I want it to be something I can use post trip too!

LWW: Thanks for the reviews of similar lenses. Right now I'm leaning towards the Tamron b/c all I've heard of Quantaray is they are crap. Unfortunately, that's what my other two lenses are!!!!! (28-90 3.5-5.6 & 70-300 4-5.6) hahahaha Boy, ignorance was bliss.....

An additional thought is this...WHY BUY A NEW LENS???

In all honesty I've NEVER had a lens break in 40 yrs of picture taking starting with a Kodak 110 thru a Nikon F4s and have only bought acouple of lenses new. IOW I's rather have a Nikkor 300mm f4 used than a Sigma 300mm f4 for the same price.

HERE is a Canon 20-35 AF like new for $279!

that sells for $369

HERE!

Ebay is also a great source for used stuff as are pawn shops and camera stores.

LWW

I'd go Tamron over Quantaray for sure. If you can afford it, Sigma makes a 17-35mm f2.8 that is a bit more. I have one and I absolutely L-O-V-E it.

photogoddess said:
I'd go Tamron over Quantaray for sure. If you can afford it, Sigma makes a 17-35mm f2.8 that is a bit more. I have one and I absolutely L-O-V-E it.

I've been looking at one of those myself. Mind if I ask how much $ you paid?

Yuo could always give a cheapo converter a try Mountainlander you can get those for $50 or less. Otherwise what are you shooting with? Lots of people sell their Canon 18-55mm EFS lenses on ebay cheap.

Canon Fan said:
I've been looking at one of those myself. Mind if I ask how much $ you paid?

Yuo could always give a cheapo converter a try Mountainlander you can get those for $50 or less. Otherwise what are you shooting with? Lots of people sell their Canon 18-55mm EFS lenses on ebay cheap.

My widest lense is the kit lense that came with my camera. Quantaray :confused: 28-90 3.5-5.6. I don't think the EFS will fit my GII will it?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
photogoddess said:
I think it was around $379 and worth every penny. I've had it for a while. It's pretty awesome on my 10D but really great on my A2. :mrgreen: Here's a link for one on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-17-35mm-F...yZ106845QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:drool: :drool: :drool: That sure would look nice next to my 24-70 EX and Planned zoom 200mm+ EX! Hmmmmm, you have me thinking again! New computer or more glass :scratch:

Mountainlander: Unfortunately no the EFS glass wont fit your GII. I had that theory once since basically the reason it wont fit the 10D is because the mount opening isn't big enough. So I tried to fit a freinds EFS on my Rebel, it doesn't work. Unfortunately it is another completely proprietary mount system. EFS only (ie: digital rebel, rebel xt, 20D)

The Zenitars are OK though. A freind of mine uses a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 on his d100 Nikon and get awesome results. The only drawback is they are full manual ONLY! Manual focus, manual f/#. Meaning you onboard meter will only display "00" and blink when you try to meter something.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thebeginning said:
i'd go for the sigma 18-50 2.8 EX instead. it's a little more expensive, but (as far as i've read) is quite, quite good. check out here for lens reviews, it's really helpful: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Grrr. Of course there is ALWAYS a nicer lense on the horizon. That may be out of my price range....

i DEFINITELY know how you feel. money sucks. or, when something costs too much. heck, why not go for the canon 16-35 2.8L? :D

but seriously, i'd look at the tamron over the quantaray.

I have the Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 which can be had for less than that Tamron. I was in the market for a relatively inexpensive wide lens and this one fits just nicely. Prior to purchase, I did some searching and found some favorable reviews... this is one of the few "plastic" bodied lenses made by Tokina and thus has been nick'd "the plastic wonder". Over the years, Tokina has always had nice quality lenses and so far the my 19-35mm lens seems to keep up.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/afl-11.html

On second glance, it looks like quantary one is a copy or rebranded tokina... looks the same.

Hey Mountain, If you have the money then buy pro glass. I have yet to be disappointed with any that I have purchased (Nikon). On the other hand, I also have some of these lenses you are considering that I use in certain situations. When I am out freelancing at a 4x4 jamboree or trailing along with the Jeep Jamboree I use the cheapies on the front of my Nikon F4s. My camera can handle the abuse, but the pro glass can't. Now a days even the cheapies have laser ground glass and unless you take one of my shots and blow it up to 16x20 and use a magnifying glass you won't see the difference.

Hope it helps.

PS. my cheapies are mostly Sigma who also makes Q-ray. They are not all that bad. At least petersons 4wheeldrive magazine didn't think so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back