How do I catch the wheels spinning?

PonyBoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to know what would be the best setting on my Nikon D200 for taking a picture of a car in motion. I will be in the car next to it at about the same speed and want to know how or what would be the best way to do this. Im a Newbi with a hand me down D200 from a friend. Also how do you take 2-10 pics in one shot. Im very new to this so please excuse my expertise in photo talk.

Thank you ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

PonyBoy Floyd

you mean spinning as in it's blurred....? ...slower shutter speed.

High shutter speed (1/250+) to freeze the action unless you want a bit of blur from the car in which case you'll want a slower shutter speed (1/80-1/125). I use canon, so I cant really help you out with settings other than that, sorry :)

How do you take multiple pictures with one click. Thank you guys for your help

i would use a slow shutter speed, and then pop a little flash at the end, no>?

To get the wheels spinning yet the car in focus, you will want a slow shutter speed, maybe 1/250 just play around BUT you must track the car for it to stay in focus, otherwise everything will be blurred

How do you take multiple pictures with one click. Thank you guys for your help
you press and hold the button. It takes shots until you let go of the shutter button. Make sure you have it set to multiple exposures in drive mode (? whats the nikon equivalent?)

On the left side top of your d200 there is a dial with some letters on it. Select CH. That will fire 4fpr as long as you hold assuming you are in Jpeg and you have a decent card.

my bad...i was thinking you wanted a crisp pic of the wheel with the motion around it.

To give you an idea, 60mph, 1/80 second:

wheel.jpg

To give you an idea, 60mph, 1/80 second:

wheel.jpg
You hit it on the money. That is pretty much what Im looking to do. 1/80 - 1/150 I should be okay right my friends?

You guys have been amazing!!!

You hit it on the money. That is pretty much what Im looking to do. 1/80 - 1/150 I should be okay right my friends?

You guys have been amazing!!!

So let's get technical here:

A typical tyre/wheel combo - 17 inch wheel with a 205/50 17 tyre has a circumferance of about 79 inches. This means it will rotate about 800 times per mile.

Therefore at 60 mph the wheel will rotate about 13 1/3 times per second. 1/125 shutter speed will give you about 1/10 of a rotation of the wheel, that should be enough to show some motion but a slower shutter speed will be better.

:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back