How do you become a pro photographer

elskratcho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finished a BA in Graphic Design 7 years ago and never used it, there was no well paid Graphics work in my area and I needed work. Ever since I have worked in sales in the Wholesale Electrical and now Industrial Piping world.

I'm looking to turn my back on this career path and go back to visual work. I wish to become a professional photographer, I did a bit with photography whilst I was at college and uni but this was now some time ago.

Can anyone advise on the best way to brush up on the skills required and how to set up in business or seek employment in this field?

Ian

Welcome to the forum.

What are you looking to do/shoot? Comercial? Industrial? Fashion? Weddings/portraits?

I'd be very happy to cover weddings as a good earner, but I'd enjoy sports and wildlife and would also be interested in promotional for buildings, business and tourism.

To be fair, I'm easy. Is it best to find your niche early? I dont have the best equipment but the visual flare is still there from my education. For now I was planning on turfing all the old graphics work out of my aging portfolios and spending the summer working on a few themes to brush up and stimulate... but after that I have no idea how to turn it into a full time job. And no idea how Photographers operate regarding getting thigs prited for clients or published.

You are in desperate need of a mentor! Find a working pro (if you PS skills are still sharp, an older photog who doesn't want to be bothered with Post Production is a place to start) and apprentice with him/her.

After seeing how and what is done you can begin to plan in earnest and do remember 'if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail'. (the only reason that cliche is tired is because no one seems to pay any attention)

mike

It is best right now to start shooting. Shoot for yourself shoot for anyone that will give you money for your images. As has been previously said find a wedding photodrapher in your area that would be willing to let you work for them, do whatever anything that makes you be immersed in photography. Oh yeah and one final thing do not expect to be a "good earner" as a photographer till you have paid your dues.

Take great photos, and market yourself the best you can. Marketing is the key but you have to be able to put out a portfolio that, when combined with your marketing, make people pay you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back