How do you carry your camera, lens, etc

PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would find it interesting to know how you guys carry your camera's and lens, etc.

I have purchase several bags, the main one that suits most of my items is a like a back pack bag, that has to be removed and unzips with access to everything from the back side of the bag, meaning if it was on my back, or on the back of my power wheel chair. Most items fit in the bag, camera, 3 lens, filters, lens cleaner etc.

But then I have the Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens. I purchased another bag for this, well padded and fits snugly inside, but having extra bags, especially the smaller one for the more expensive larger lens I realise it could easily be knocked! Not a good idea! I may readjust and put the Tamron lens in the main bag and have smaller lenses in another bag, but I thought I would ask the question on here, knowing you guys are out and about, and are used to carrying your equipment and making sure it doesn't get knocked.

All comments welcome, thank you.

Generally most photographers start the hobby with one bag that fits everything they own
By the end of things they'll typically have a load of bags which will each only fit part of the kit.

When you start its easy to carry it all with you because most of the entry level stuff is smaller and lighter. So you easily get into the habit of having it all and using whatever you want at the time. However as you gain more gear - esp if you gain higher end and especially so if its longer lenses; it starts to become important to prioritize what you do and don't take; as sometimes carrying it all you might find you only actually use one or two items. Experience (of photography and the site you're going too) all help in letting you evaluate what you might need and what is best left behind.

Carrying stuff is also fairly personal, myself I've a few bags depending on the situation;

1) A large messenger bag. This is almost the size of a backpack, but with a sling instead of two straps. It's the bag I like to use if I'm going to a zoo, reserve or event where I expect to move to a single spot and then not move around a huge amount once there. Or where if I am moving around its shorter distances. The bonus is that the bag lets me pick it up and drop it off and also dip in and out to get a lens or lens and camera quickly, without having to unzip or zip it up again (as one might with a backpack).
However I'd never take it on a long hike or to a place where mobility was important (unless I was able to leave it in one spot and move around in the area around it).

2) A large backpack. For me this is my bag that will hold pretty much nearly everything I own. It's the kind of bag I might take on a trip so that I can leave it behind in the room/hotel/wherever and then use a smaller bag or just carry gear whilst going out and around. I can also use it if I'm carying more lighting gear rather than just lenses and cameras.
And because its a backpack the weight is kept on the shoulders and waist band so its a lot easier to carry heavy gear. If I owned more than one big prime/zoom lens its the bag I'd reach for to carry both as it would put weight on both shoulders and the waist rather than the shoulderbag above which would only lump it all on one side.

3) A medium backpack. My go-to does everything kind of bag that isn't too big nor bulky and yet will hold a good amount of gear. A good generalist backpack for a trip out to anywhere. Protects the gear, lets me carry a few items and because its on my back it keeps weight on the shoulders and waist; so its a lot easier to carry over longer distances or at places where I'm not sure (in advance) if I'll be mobile or seated.

4) A small shoulderbag. This is the one I actually started with that, for a time, could hold all my gear (it can't now). It will hold a camera body and a couple of small lenses or a lens and flash. It's my bag I keep my old camera and entry level gear in - useful if going somewhere where photography isn't the focus and where the camera could come to harm or might be left unattended for a while (ergo its the gear I can afford to lose - not that I want to lose it, but I won't lose sleep over it).

Sooooo as you can see its easy to end up with quite a few variations! There's also loads of bags out there with pockets and different entry methods and all kinds of funky features. So often the best way to choose a bag is to get some photography experience and then head to a local shop and take your gear with you - then try out a few bags. For yourself on a wheelchair you might well find this a very important step as if you want to gain access to the bag you might find some shapes easier to swing around to reach; whilst others might be very well reviewed, but prove impractical when you are out and around (esp if alone - eg a quiet day in the bird hide when you're the only one there).

A large bag in the car with everything I plan to use. Everything else is left at home. When I leave the car I normally carry only my camera, a single lens, and [optionally] a tripod. If I need anything else (filters, speedlight, etc.) it goes in jacket pockets.

I don't typically use a bag, even two gunning it. One camera, one lens. If two gunning it, a wide and a telephoto. Film, 28 or 35 and a 55 or 100. Digital, 16 or 23 and a 60 or 80. I put them in the center console of my truck. The only time I use a bag is if I'm bringing lighting gear.

These days I use a black Tenba large messenger bag - 17" x 10" x 9".
Pros
It doesn't look like a camera bag
Holds a surprising amount of stuff (2 DSLRs, 2 lenses (up to 85 mm), speedlight, radio trigger, batteries/charger, and all the other stuff I need.)
The main compartment is easily customized.
Excellent padding on the shoulder strap, maybe the best in the industry.

Cons
No cool factor or sex appeal. Wait maybe that's actually a Pro.

Well.. as my gear collection has grown so has my selection of bags and cases.

I have a pelican 1560sc case that all my cameras, lenses, filters, and speedlights live in when at home or when taking everything on a trip.

I have a smaller 1510sc case that I use as a carry on when I travel or when I don’t need to bring quite as much but still want a hard case. Only have this because I got it before the 1560 and then outgrew it.

I have a mindshift backlight 36l backpack that I use for day trip hiking.. holds as much gear as I need as well as extra clothes, food, water, etc.

Beyond that I have a few small messenger bags and a few smaller backpacks that I can piece out smaller kids for different purposes.

I have an addiction to bags. I’m still looking for the perfect bag for a few different applications. When I was carrying my D500 with a 150-600 on it, I had an old 1970’s bag that looked like a long lunchbox. It fit the combo perfectly for when it’s all I wanted to carry. Lowepro currently makes a few bags designed for a body with a large lens attached; one of those may work well for you.

I use a fairly large shoulder bag (which never goes on my shoulder!) that contains all my digital kit. When I go out, it stays in the car and I remove the body and lens (possibly two lenses) that I am going to use on that session. Any peripherals (filters, remote release, battery, cards) go in my pocket.

For film work, I have two smaller bags - one for medium format and one for 35 mm. These bags I will carry with me rather than leave in the car.

I usually only carry on me what a need, usually consisting of camera, lens and sometimes spare batteries. Everything else is in my bag in the car.
If I think I'll need that extra lens, it'll go in a pocket and I'll put on the harness for this larger lens.
Here's my travel bag with most of the stuff I take.

camerabag-jpg.137653

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Photography for me, I think is going to be like when I go fishing, I need someone with me to carry my stuff. :biglaugh:

When I fish (coarse) my wife loads the car for me and always moans, why do you need all this stuff. When I get to the lake, always one where I have someone to help me set up and put away, the bailiff says, have you come for a week PJ. :clap:

So understandably when I go shooting, (with camera), I will have almost everything with me. Five weeks into the hobby and already got three bags! Why carry so much? Well like fishing I never knew how things would change and always wanted to be able to adjust accordingly. It is no use having the Tamron lens on and a nice robin perches a few feet away. So as the boy scouts motto is, be prepared. Trouble is not being mobile doesn't help and although camera and three lenses are in my main bag, the Tamron lens in a special padded bag just big enough for the lens to fit inside, I do worry it will get knocked. So I am going to see if I can put that in the main bag with camera and maybe have smaller lenses in another bag.

Generally most photographers start the hobby with one bag that fits everything they own
By the end of things they'll typically have a load of bags which will each only fit part of the kit

I did, for the first few weeks, I am now at week five. :biglaugh:

I use a messenger bag: 3x cameras and lenses, an extra lens, batteries, flash, sync cable. I have a compact camera in my coat pocket. No lens caps. Hat and gloves, scarf.

That's more like me, be prepared, a bit of everything should the situation change and an unexpected opportunity arise. (Except I always have lens hoods on LOL) You forgot your flask and something to eat espresso2x :encouragement:

I usually only carry on me what a need

Me too zombiesniper, me too.

Nice set up you got there. I got a net bag on side of my main bag but I am not sure about a lens in it. I guess it is cos everything is new and I have to rely on my wife to carry them and put them in car and on my chair for me, when its your baby I think you look after it more carefully.

Thanks again all for your replies.

So understandably when I go shooting, (with camera), I will have almost everything with me.
And sooner or later you're going to realize that 90% of the time you're not using 90% of the crap you're hauling around with you and will then do your wife a favor and start leaving it at home.

By the time you figure out which bag the lens you need is in, get it out, swap it for the one that's on the camera, recompose, etc. that robin has gotten bored and is in the next county. When those rare opportunities arise, in virtually every instance if it's not already on the camera it's not going to do you a bit of good. If nothing else just sit back and enjoy watching the robin for a moment. You really don't have to photograph everything you see, and can actually just enjoy seeing it.

Lens shades, good idea. Need a couple of metal ones, on my list. I do use four cameras (two AF, two manual focus), and the two or three manual lenses are all small 'primes'. My scarf is to wipe rain of lenses and to protect the 67mm front of one AF lens.

You wipe your lens with a scarf? :cower:

Lens filter size for Tamron lens listed below is 95mm, great lens.

:cheerful: sorry that wasn't for lens that was for fish I caught but got away.

Lens shades, good idea. Need a couple of metal ones, on my list. I do use four cameras (two AF, two manual focus), and the two or three manual lenses are all small 'primes'. My scarf is to wipe rain of lenses and to protect the 67mm front of one AF lens.

The coatings on the front elements are more durable than you’d ever imagine.

I frequently use my t shirt or a regular towel to wipe water off of them.

Microfiber cloths don’t absorb enough water to be useful.

So understandably when I go shooting, (with camera), I will have almost everything with me.
And sooner or later you're going to realize that 90% of the time you're not using 90% of the crap you're hauling around with you and will then do your wife a favor and start leaving it at home.

By the time you figure out which bag the lens you need is in, get it out, swap it for the one that's on the camera, recompose, etc. that robin has gotten bored and is in the next county. When those rare opportunities arise, in virtually every instance if it's not already on the camera it's not going to do you a bit of good. If nothing else just sit back and enjoy watching the robin for a moment. You really don't have to photograph everything you see, and can actually just enjoy seeing it.

I was joking with the wife about that yesterday, I said, I see the image, add my lens, alter the zoom, adjust and compose then realise the item I was to shoot has flown or run away. All part of the fun and learning, I don't bank every fish I get a bite with and don't expect to capture every animal or bird, the small ones are never still anyway, but they are fun to watch.

But, I am new and have to learn, often the hard way. Today I got my gear together, wife put it in car and she fell, had to take her to hospital, as camera equipment was in the car I said... I will take you for a drive. Her look said it all, I still took her for a drive. We drove to the RSPB nature reserve, but didn't get out as it was wet everywhere and although loads of people, but no warden or similar to chat to. So after 20 minutes in the car park watching the tits, finches, blackbirds and more we drove on. I pulled up and from the car, just testing the camera I took my 'first' few outdoor shots, we then drove back above 5 miles and I pulled up in another area and took a few more shots looking towards the Lake District, (landscape photos can't fly away). At last my 'first few shots', the camera was christened.

Tomorrow I will look at them and find fault with them, (all basic landscape images) so that next time I can aim to improve.

Mostly i use a gloved finger or my shirt :) but when i say scarf its a pashmina very soft :) I do have a kens o3n and soft brushes etc..well, that's only on special occassions that they get used :)

I was only joking expresso2x. :encouragement:

If it isn't a lot, it goes into a back pack. Along with a jacket (gets cold at night), 2 sandwiches (dinner and snack), and a water bottle.
BTW, I am a senior citizen, not a young/strong 20 year old college kid, so that pack is weight limited.

If it is more than I can fit or carry in the pack, it goes into a cart, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Office-Depot-Mobile-Folding-16in-H/dp/B00DB8O26Q/
The restrictions with that cart are the small wheels and low ground clearance. So it only works on smooth hard surfaces.
It folds and easily packs into the trunk of my car.

I have not figured out how to deal with more than what will fit into that cart, except to put an athletic bag on top of the cart. Beyond that bag, I don't take it.
Nor do I have a method to go "off road" with more than my pack.

As for the stuff you take.
Plan in advance, and live with what you take. Then learn from your experience, and adjust.

When I shoot an event or sport game, I don't take ALL my lenses and other gear. I can't carry them, and it would fill a mini-van if I did. So what I carry is a compromise. If I carry, I plan for 1 or 2 lenses that will fit into my pack. If more, it has to go into the cart. If I did not bring a lens or other gear...oh well. I make do with what I have.
  • Shooting soccer at night with a DX body, 70-210 f/4 lens. When the players come/run close to me, the 70mm end of the lens is tooo long, but...oh well. I am not a pro (or rich), so I do not have a 2nd body with a 16-80 lens on it, to quickly switch to. IOW, I miss that close shot.
  • I went to my nephew's wedding. 3 days before the wedding, they asked me to shoot the reception. My flash+bracket+HV battery pack were back at home, 2,500 miles away. I had to make do with the pop-up flash on the camera. Far from ideal, but that was all that I had.
Sometimes learning what gear to bring is by experience of what works and what does not work.
  • I shot tennis with a 500mm lens on a 3-way pan head on my tripod. That did not work well, the pan head was too difficult to track a rapidly moving subject. The next time out, I used a gimbal head on the tripod, which worked MUCH better.
  • I brought a monopod to shoot a tennis match with my 300mm lens. But the wind was so fast that the monopod and I were being blown around. It was very difficult to keep the camera+lens anywhere near steady. I relied on fast shutter speed to make up for my lack of stability. Next time I shoot at that school, I'm bringing a medium/heavy tripod, to deal with the wind.
  • After shooting several indoor games with my 18-140 zoom, I decided that I wanted a FASTER lens. The zoom required me to be at ISO 12800, 1/500 sec, f/5.6. ISO level was HIGH, shutter speed was marginal for fast sports.
    I got a 35mm f/1.8 lens and I was able to shoot at ISO 3200, 1/1000 sec, f/2. Much better.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back