How do you keep track of your batteries/Memory Cards?

T5iDesign

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased about 6 batteries for my 5DmIII and was debating how to name them/ keep track of which is charged and discharged. I was going to label them the same was I do my SD and CF cards; with an A-Z format. But I'm looking for some insight on how you guys label and keep track of the many crucial cards and batteries. Thanks for your help!

Cards are all numbered. Those in the card wallet label up are ready for use, those which are label down are used. Batteries are similar: positive terminal up means ready to go, negative termal up means used and need charging.

Yep... number them. I use white fingernail polish. 50¢ at the Dollar General store, and comes with a handy brush too.

I actually use names to ID my stuff but in an alphabetical listing.

My cards are names:

Apple, Bob, Charlie, Dog, et al.

My batteries are numbered (Roman Numerals).

I think I have too much time on my hands.

I like tireiron's methodology. But I usually work in very fast paced environments and tireiron's process would slow me down. When I'm in a hurry, I tossed the used cards/batteries in a camera bag pocket designated for spent stuff and grab fresh batteries from a pocket designated for fresh batteries.

Just to add: I have 6 batteries, but I also have 3 gripped bodies. So I don't have loose batteries hither n yon. If I need a charged battery, I just swap it out with one in another body or grip.

Why is it $.50 ... shouldn't it be $1.00?

Because it's not the Everything for $1.00 store.
fiufiu.gif

For cards, I carry two little ziplocks labelled "Empty" (green sharpie) and "Full" (red sharpie). My AA batteries are kept in sets of four in little cases that are marked (+) on one end and (-) on the other -- I point the buttons to (+) for charged and (-) for discharged. For the camera batteries, there's a little window in the protective cover that aligns w/ a blue sticker on the back of the battery -- you can show charged / discharged by how you orient the cover.

I have two think tank battery holders, a grey one and a black one. Grey is empty, black is charged. For memory cards I label them, but I can't even remember the last time I filled up a 32 GB memory card (I don't do much video). Whenever I get home I always dump my memory cards and format if I start getting above 4GB of usage. This probably isn't good for them life wise, but it's what I do.

To get a bit more specific:

I use Delkin's SD card holders, which carry 8 SD cards. When a card is full, I place it in the holder face down. The next two numbered cards go into the camera. When I'm done filling up those 8 cards, I go on to card holder No. 2, then card holder No. 3. When all 34 cards are filled up, I start again with cards 1 +2, deleting the images that were on there. This allows me to use the cards as temporary back-up.

Just to add: I have 6 batteries, but I also have 3 gripped bodies. So I don't have loose batteries hither n yon. If I need a charged battery, I just swap it out with one in another body or grip.

Why is it $.50 ... shouldn't it be $1.00?

Because it's not the Everything for $1.00 store.
fiufiu.gif
Ohhh ... now I get it.

To get a bit more specific:

I use Delkin's SD card holders, which carry 8 SD cards. When a card is full, I place it in the holder face down. The next two numbered cards go into the camera. When I'm done filling up those 8 cards, I go on to card holder No. 2, then card holder No. 3. When all 34 cards are filled up, I start again with cards 1 +2, deleting the images that were on there. This allows me to use the cards as temporary back-up.
that is actually a good idea.

i don't really need to keep track. I have new cards not even opened as i use the same ones over and over and usually transfer and delete them same day or within a day. I keep the new cards in the packaging for reseve in case one of the others dies. Each digital has its own cards, i keep them with the cameras. Batteries? just swap them out. Most i ever use is two on a camera, stay with camera or keep one at home. Really nothing to keep track of. couple bats on one of the nikons is a LOT of photos, especially with no flash. Never had a reason to carry more than two. CArds, only carry four. But two are still in the packaging. Takes a lot of photos to fill two cards in one shoot. I still haven't even managed it. The batteries charge pretty quick if need be. Never really had a battery issue.

Last edited:
Cards are all numbered. Those in the card wallet label up are ready for use, those which are label down are used. Batteries are similar: positive terminal up means ready to go, negative termal up means used and need charging.
still can't get over why you guys are using so many batteries and cards. Do you charge batteries and empty cards once a month or something? I pretty much do mine every time i shoot.

You guys are the bees knees. Thanks for all your input. Really enjoy reading the different processes you guys have.

still can't get over why you guys are using so many batteries and cards. Do you charge batteries and empty cards once a month or something? I pretty much do mine every time i shoot.

I pretty much only shoot video in 1080 ALL-I and will go through a lot of memory cards and batteries in a full day shoot. Therefore, it's crucial for me to keep track of my memory cards and batteries when on a fast-pace schedule where there is little to no time in between scenes. I just need to be able to grab and go.

You guys are the bees knees. Thanks for all your input. Really enjoy reading the different processes you guys have.

I pretty much only shoot video in 1080 ALL-I and will go through a lot of memory cards and batteries in a full day shoot. Therefore, it's crucial for me to keep track of my memory cards and batteries when on a fast-pace schedule where there is little to no time in between scenes. I just need to be able to grab and go.
ah.. gotcha.

Most reactions

Back