How do you use your SB-600?

Nate, those are some serious pics.

Well, with the D3000, you will need something to fire it. SU-800 would be my recommendation...that or get a long sync cord. If you had a D70(s), D80, or D90, or above you would be able to fire it using CLS wirelessly using the built in flash. D3000 and D5000 don't have this built in so you need either the SU-800, a sync cord, or a camera upgrade. You can get some cheap ebay flash triggers, but you lose TTL, and I personally find TTL too useful to do without.
There is nowhere to plug a sync cord into an SB-600 or a D3000.

An SU-800 costs $250 (new) and isn't a speedlight, just a device that transmits an infrared signal. Being infrared, it's limited to line of sight.

I'd spend those dollars on a hand held light meter like that can measure flash' like a Sekonic L-308S.

There are accessories you can get though like the Nikon AS-15 for the camera hot shoe:

nikon AS-15

and a similar device for the SB-600 foot that will let you use a PC sync cord.

Another good source for some of this kind of stuff is www.flashzebra.com.

It's been quite a while since I last used iTTL.

why do you need a pc sync cord? like on the cheapie ebay wireless flashes

why do you need a pc sync cord? like on the cheapie ebay wireless flashes
You don't need an PC sync cord. It's just one of the ways to trigger on off camera speedlight.

I used 3 lights to make this earlier today. Try and reverse engineer where the lights were.

SelfPortrait100805D300A12-24f4__003.jpg

hum I can see one large one on the right, i'm guessing there was one on the left as well and another above?

Well, with the D3000, you will need something to fire it. SU-800 would be my recommendation...that or get a long sync cord. If you had a D70(s), D80, or D90, or above you would be able to fire it using CLS wirelessly using the built in flash. D3000 and D5000 don't have this built in so you need either the SU-800, a sync cord, or a camera upgrade. You can get some cheap ebay flash triggers, but you lose TTL, and I personally find TTL too useful to do without.

An SU-800 costs $250 (new) and isn't a speedlight, just a device that transmits an infrared signal. Being infrared, it's limited to line of sight.

I'd spend those dollars on a hand held light meter like that can measure flash' like a Sekonic L-308S.

There are accessories you can get though like the Nikon AS-15 for the camera hot shoe:

nikon AS-15

This does the trick for me
Dot Line | RPS TTL Off-Camera Flash Cord with Swivel | RS-0441/1

Great buy! I use mine for indoor shots and also off camera. I like to bounce it off different things to get different effects.

Oh, and don't return it. If you don't like it, resell it on ebay and make some $$.

I shot this one yesterday with my SB-600. I had it on a wireless trigger system, it was on the left of me pointed at a 45 degree angle on full power against a simple white cloth back drop in my living room.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/206196-devil-disguise-c-c-welcome.html

Keep that flash, it is amazing and can be used for so many different things, and for the price you paid, it's a great deal!

hum I can see one large one on the right, i'm guessing there was one on the left as well and another above?
Yep. There is a reflection just to the right of the Summit decal of the 45" umbrella and speedlight. The center of the umbrella is just at eye level.

The one above is also behind.

nikon AS-15

Is there any advantage to using a pc cord over something like the cactus v4 triggers?

nikon AS-15

Is there any advantage to using a pc cord over something like the cactus v4 triggers?
You can still have TTL.

Most reactions

Back