How does Lee Jeffries get this effect?

I don't have a clue how he does it, but Lee Jeffries is probably my favourite photographer out there. And I'm not even into portraiture.

Curves adjustment to push a great deal of contrast into wherever the skin tones are falling, and letting the rest of the tones fall where they may.

Frequently, a small softbox or similar moderately diffuse light source (maybe just a window) centered and high to create a lot of strong skin texture.

It's a trendy fashion trope these days, you shovel all the contrast into the midtones, more or less. But this guy is definitely putting it into the skin tones specifically.

Wow he does some nice pics. Some of this forum frown at pics of the homeless.

Wow he does some nice pics. Some of this forum frown at pics of the homeless.

I could be wrong, but I think it's the sneaky wannabe "street" pics with long zooms that are frowned on. These were obviously done with permission and the knowledge of said homeless people.

further research reveals:
quoted from his website:
«Situations arose, and I made an effort to learn to get to know each of the subjects before asking their permission to do their portrait.»

also:"He uses his photography to draw attention to and raise funds for the homeless"
Portraits of the Homeless by Lee Jeffries - LightBox

The issues are more complicated than that, but they're been covered in painful detail so I don't see any point in going over it again.

The look is very dramatic, but if you've been paying attention to the right corners of the industry it's actually pretty conventional. Not paying attention to every ridiculous corner of the fashion world is, of course, not a crime. He's combining some fashion tropes with some homeless-people-portraits tropes with some pretty dramatic looking people.

I don't know, but I like his work.

Are these shot in color and then converted to B&W? I'm guessing yes, but that's just speculation because I keep hearing that shooting B&W in camera does not work that well...

Are these shot in color and then converted to B&W? I'm guessing yes, but that's just speculation because I keep hearing that shooting B&W in camera does not work that well...
He has a Flickr account (​Flickr: LJ.'s Photostream). I wouldn't expect him to reveal all his trade secrets to you or to anyone, but this particular question about colour/B&W I'm sure he'll be kind enough to answer. My guess is colour, converted to B&W.

The look is very dramatic, but if you've been paying attention to the right corners of the industry it's actually pretty conventional. Not paying attention to every ridiculous corner of the fashion world is, of course, not a crime. He's combining some fashion tropes with some homeless-people-portraits tropes with some pretty dramatic looking people.
Every time the TPF crowd is enjoying a photo or artist, you are there with a dismissive comment. In this case, to dismiss a photographer that's respected worldwide, your weapon of choice is the "it's been done thousands of times" argument. Newsflash for you: everything has been invented. Every new style or idea is a mesh of previous styles or ideas. Your posts tend to be a combination of 5% backhanded positive comments and 95% outright negative stuff that never comes across as constructive. Here's a novel idea for you: how about inverting the equation for a change?

I've only read two or three of your posts today, enough to tell you're on a roll.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back