How Good can a L Series Lens hold up for dust in motocross tracks?

tigidig4x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, i just want to ask if i ho well can my lens hold up for dusty track of an motocross race? my shoot earlier in motocross was my first and there is dust everywhere, well, not those physical dust that you could touch but just like a hell of a ton of dust in a wind that you cant barely see. I have 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, i got some dust from winds on my lens and body as well, im concerned about my lens, does this lens have some extra protection for things like these or something? Im just worried since i know i cant afford again this kind of lens. Thank you. Even though i am worried, i am very happy with my output and my first experience of shooting this sport. :D

That lens yes. But not all L lenses are weather sealed.

That lens yes. But not all L lenses are weather sealed.

So you are saying its okay right? No dust particles got inside my lens? because after i shoot, i got some dusts make up on the outsides of my lens, and i still had to wipe them away.
Also, can i ask, does cleaning the outsides of my lens with alcohol advisable? I have been using alcohol for cleaning almost every items on our house, just like tv,computers, laptops, and many more. im wondering if it could do the same to lens? and bodies?

That particular L lens is weather sealed (if you have a filter, even the front glass is); so you should be good to carefully clean the lens and continue shooting.

I'll let someone else comment on what to clean with as I'm still sorting that out myself.

That particular L lens is weather sealed (if you have a filter, even the front glass is); so you should be good to carefully clean the lens and continue shooting.

I'll let someone else comment on what to clean with as I'm still sorting that out myself.

Yes, i have put a clear b+w filter in my lens, but i just used a t4i body,and i think this body isnt weather sealed, is there a chance that theres still dust that could go in passing the mount area of my lens and body?

Yes, i have put a clear b+w filter in my lens, but i just used a t4i body,and i think this body isnt weather sealed, is there a chance that theres still dust that could go in passing the mount area of my lens and body?
Yes.

I believe the lens is sealed from the back, so again you could just clean off that element... your sensor and shutter however would be a larger concern.

Even weather sealed lenses will ingest dust.

Weather sealing does not mean a lens or a camera is hermetically (airtight) sealed. Weather sealing just make a lens/camera more weather resistant than a non sealed camera.

How to Clean Your Lens and Filters Properly | explora
Yes. But there's more than just the weather sealing on this particular lens. The fact that its zoom/focus is entirely internal, for example. It's not impossible to get material into the lens (submerge it in water, for example); but I would think, and I admit this is supposition, that it would be difficult to get dust inside the mechanism of this particular lens.

The camera body would seem to be far more vulnerable.

You are on.

OP: Clean the front and back and get a flashlight. Make sure you are only looking at dust on the inner-elements.

Guys you make me nervous... (Sorry for the ignorance) what do you mean clean the front and back of my lens? the inner part? isnt it dangerous and should be done by professionals? I think i cant do it... i dont even know how to disassemble my lens, but illl try to watch youtube videos.... hopefully my lens is alright...

do i still need to clean the front of my lens? i have uv clear filter attached to my lens at the front, so i think it isnt necessary? am i right?

For now, im studying how to clean the back of my lens hahaha

Hopefully, The front lens element was checked for cleanliness before you put the UV filter on the lens, but depending on the quality of the UV filter the front lens element may get dusty again and require re-dusting with a natural bristle brush and a hand blower.
The front of the lens/uv filter does not need to be pristine because the focus point is way out front of the lens.

A UV filter adds an air gap that can promote lens flare.
A less than high quality UV filter will soften the focus sharpness of the lens, and/or add Newton's Rings to your photos.

A UV filter will give some protection from debris kicked up by the motorcycles, but if the UV filter breaks the sharp shards of UV filter glass will likely be pushed back into the front lens element and may cause as much or more damage to the front lens element than a rock.
A shattered UV filter has to be removed from the lens and unscrewing the filter may leave a series of concentric scratches on the front lens element as the filter is rotated.

UV filters used for 'protection' usually cause more problems than they solve.

Note when people say clean the back of the lens they mean the last element before the lens joins the camera = so the part on the outside. They most certainly don't mean disassembling and cleaning inside the lens; that 's really something you want to leave to the professionals.

If you're worried about dust I'd get yourself a UV filter to help protect the front element against dust and light debries - of course it won't protect against stones (that's what the hood is for) but it will let you have a cheap wipe clean surface that you can replace if needed without it costing too much - and without having to lose the lens for a few weeks.

I'd then get a cover - a cheap OPTech rainsleeve is a very affordable option that would keep a lot of the dust out. You'll probably want a few as its not that tough a material; but certainly strong enough to resist normal and heavy rain and dust. There are also more expensive and more durable covers on the market you could consider using. That would add another barrier to help prevent the worst of the dust coating the camera and lens

The above are correct, I was not referring to cleaning any inner parts of your lens. That would involve dis-assembly, and should definitely be done by the pros.

Assuming nothing makes it through the seals for your lens (and by and large, I don't think they will), the only areas that should get dirty are the front of the front-most piece of glass (the front of the lens or the filter if you have one), and the back of the last-most piece of glass (which you can touch by taking the lens off the body and looking at the back).

Most reactions

Back