how long have you been a photographer

I'm like airgunr I've been taking photos for ever pretty much but I've only been seriously into proper SLR's and good images for the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm not a pro (i'm not good enough to be) but at the moment I am getting all my income from freelance work for a web design company, although I am trying to get trained as a pro portrait photographer as a perk of my next employment move.

I've always been into "getting a good shot" so to speak, but never really considered trying it more seriously. For the past couple of years I've experimented a lot with composition and basic techniques on a point and shoot digital, and recently (maybe a month or so now) when the opportunity presented itself for me to go down the dSLR route I jumped at it.

I'm now the proud owner of a Canon 350D and I love it... this was probably one of the best deciesions I've made... I'm enjoying photograph-ing so much! :mrgreen:

I'd like to get to a stage where I can maybe get some money for my photos but I'm not totally bothered.... my boyfriend is a video enthusiast and has some excellent video work and post production editing skills. He does some incredible wedding videos etc, so maybe at some point in the future we could go into that sort've business together combining our hobbies!

I've been learning/using an SLR for the past 7 years. I only just now decided that it is what I want to do as a carreer. :)

darin3200 said:
Its the inexperience, after they shoot for a while and get better they relize the errors of their ways and go to film

:wink:

:lmao: What if you go from film to digital then back to film?:roll:

Patrick said:
:lmao: What if you go from film to digital then back to film?:roll:
That's called trying something new... but figuring out that it wasn't all that great... ;)

:mrgreen:

"A photographer"?

Big word.

I think I held a camera (Kodak Instamatic, my sister's first camera) first when I was 7 or 8 to take my own photos (horrible outcome!).

That means that I have been taking photos (on and off) for ... shall I tell you? Ah, you know anyway, so there... some 38 years.

But all those years of taking photographs, including the last 6 or so in which I have decided to get better and take more than just your everyday snapshot still do not make me a photographer. Oh no.

So in answer to your question about what I consider myself to be now I must say:
AMATEUR and nothing but AMATEUR.

I got my first camera December of last year, so I am just now coming up on my first photography anniversary.

Although far from what I consider being a pro, I have been fortunate enough to quit my "day job" with the money I have earned from photojournalism and devote all my time to photography. I'm just getting into weddings, and really love that as well. As so many others have said, it's a constant learning process and I can only hope to get better.

LaFoto said:
"A photographer"?

Big word.

I think I held a camera (Kodak Instamatic, my sister's first camera) first when I was 7 or 8 to take my own photos (horrible outcome!).

That means that I have been taking photos (on and off) for ... shall I tell you? Ah, you know anyway, so there... some 38 years.

But all those years of taking photographs, including the last 6 or so in which I have decided to get better and take more than just your everyday snapshot still do not make me a photographer. Oh no.

So in answer to your question about what I consider myself to be now I must say:
AMATEUR and nothing but AMATEUR.

My first camera was a brownie!!

Steve

I'm 30 and I've been shooting as far back as i can remember. First with my father's minolta 7000 that I "borrowed" for several years and with his 110 pentax. I basically was the self assigned photographer for the family during trips and took pictures of whatever I found along the way. Sometimes little flowers and at times huge landscapes. Never really focused on the art in photography until after graduation in 99.. I was too "distracted" with finishing my computer science degree.. ( joking )

Past several years have been fustrating for various reasons but I always emersed myself into photography to help keep my fustrations at bay. 4 months ago, I landed a full time position that required only 3 days of my week. Leaves 4 days to devout to a focus on photography among other things. Simply put... i want to learn the craft but if I make a living from it sometime in the future I would be totally happy.

I bought my first SLR a year ago. I bought my first DSLR two months ago. My wife thinks I have to many expensive hobbies. Photography is something I do to relax and be creative. I would rate my skills as moderate with lots of room for improvement.

My great granfather was a professional photographer from about WW1 on and left his cameras to my after he passed away so I've been surrounded by cameras of all types my whole life (Ranging from old Bellows cameras to a WW2 vintage Rolleiflex). I've been playing around with shots, not really knowing what I was doing for pretty well the past 10 years. About three years ago I became the school photographer but I am by no means any more than a lucky amateur.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back