How long until crop sensor bodies are a thing of the past?

Smaller-lighter-cheaper, and good enough. APS-C isn't going away anytime soon.

Smaller-lighter-cheaper, and good enough. APS-C isn't going away anytime soon.
I think you said it right. It seems like APS-C is here to stay.

the camera market is all about options.
options, options, options.
thats why there are so many different models, even among the same sensor size.
because people LIKE having options, even when the differences are negligible.
sensor size is a HUGE option, and no matter how much the sensor gap closes, if you take that option away I think you will see an even bigger decline in sales.

also, theres still the matter of size. no matter how close sensor performance gets between different sized sensors, you STILL need more room and larger lenses for larger sensors.
with form factor and weight being the biggest concern for a lot of people, smaller sized cameras will usually be the better option for them.

why wouldnt things go in the other direction?
as the performance gap closes between smaller sensors and FF ones, why would you NOT choose the smaller, lighter camera over the bigger, heavier one?
when AF catches up, and sensor performance becomes super close, what advantages will the larger cameras have?
to me, it seems like FX may have its days numbered, not the other way around.

Reactions: pez
No.

There will always be masses of people who don't give that much of a crap about their pictures, just as long as they take good enough shots to recognize friends/family/pets, vacation sunsets, and food. These people aren't going to pay full-frame prices for a camera, nor will they deal with the hassle of shlepping a big camera around because their phone cameras are good enough for their purposes.

And there will always be people who may want to get more serious with their photography but can't afford the upgrade or aren't serious enough to be bothered with full-frame.

Now, if you can put full-frame into a phone and seriously drop the price, then who knows. Until then, nope.

Regarding the price issue. It's technology. Technology prices drop over time and older tech is phased out. There was a time you had to choose between a CRT television or a more expensive flat screen. Those days are over. Could that not happen with DSLRs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digital Cameras have hit a brick wall there is nothing new anymore Nikon had there biggest losses with the resurgence of film i think they would do well to start making some nice film cameras again like Leica

No.

There will always be masses of people who don't give that much of a crap about their pictures, just as long as they take good enough shots to recognize friends/family/pets, vacation sunsets, and food. These people aren't going to pay full-frame prices for a camera, nor will they deal with the hassle of shlepping a big camera around because their phone cameras are good enough for their purposes.

And there will always be people who may want to get more serious with their photography but can't afford the upgrade or aren't serious enough to be bothered with full-frame.

Now, if you can put full-frame into a phone and seriously drop the price, then who knows. Until then, nope.

Regarding the price issue. It's technology. Technology prices drop over time and older tech is phased out. There was a time you had to choose between a CRT television or a more expensive flat screen. Those days are over. Could that not happen with DSLRs?

Digital Cameras have hit a brick wall there is nothing new anymore Nikon had there biggest losses with the resurgence of film i think they would do well to start making some nice film cameras again like Leica

well, film cameras pretty much hit that same brick wall 50 years ago...not like there's anything new going on there.
I think there needs to be another push for medium format in film like there is in digital.
i mean, sure...keep a few 35mm cameras around for the plebs, but I want to see a new fuji G690.

No.

well, film cameras pretty much hit that same brick wall 50 years ago...not like there's anything new going on there.
I think there needs to be another push for medium format in film like there is in digital.
i mean, sure...keep a few 35mm cameras around for the plebs, but I want to see a new fuji G690.
Nothing wrong with the GW690III mine works perfectly

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I wish I could find the article, but I can't lay my hands on it anymore. I stumbled across this by accident a few weeks ago. Supposed there is a team of researchers working on a replacement for the sensor as we know it now. Current sensors read the light and covert it to an "analog" signal that is sent to the edge of the chip, and is then converted to digital. The new system uses microchip technology that reads the light from the 3 primary colors in layers, as a digital signal on the chip (no analog conversion required). According to the article, the new technology would make possible extremely "cheap" sensors, with the ability to provide upwards of 120 gb.

Since the Fuji GFX has become available at $6,500 US dollars now, the number of shots I am seeing is about 50-50 or 40-60 in favor of legacy-system adapted lenses on this new camera and its 44mm x 33mm sensor. Lenses are what drives photography to an extent; all of the lenses on the market right now act as levers, pushing people toward specific sensor sizes.

Going bigger on the sensor makes a LOT of 35mm wide-angle lenses VERY wide when used on a larger-trhan-24x36 piece of sensor. Going smaller makes the tele lenses effectively "tighter coverage", so I see room for all sizes of sensors as we move farther into this century. The new Olympus 300mm f/4 acts as, effectively a 600mm f/4 lens; very cost-effective for Oly nature users who want that long, narrow angle of view lens, but in a mere 300mm f/4 lens, not an 11-pound 600mm f/4! And that's why the smaller-than-APS-C sensor, the 2.0 FOV 4/3 format sensor, makes sense too.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back