How much Photoshop is too much?

My opinion on PP would have to be if the it doesn't add something to the image it is too much

My opinion on PP would have to be if the it doesn't add something to the image it is too much

That opinion makes no sense to me at all. Any postprocessing can be variously viewed as either adding or subtracting something from or to the photo even when talking about the same edit.

skieur

That opinion makes no sense to me at all. Any postprocessing can be variously viewed as either adding or subtracting something from or to the photo even when talking about the same edit.

skieur

Your reply makes no sense to me. If your changing of a photo adds no artistic value (to you) then that is too much. Other than that there is no judging PP.

Your reply makes no sense to me. If your changing of a photo adds no artistic value (to you) then that is too much. Other than that there is no judging PP.

Everything adds some type of artistic value...just depends on what type of art you're into.

Me personally, I like a more natural looking photo...though there can still be heavy use of PP, if it's necessary to get the perfect shot.

Everything adds some type of artistic value...just depends on what type of art you're into.

Me personally, I like a more natural looking photo...though there can still be heavy use of PP, if it's necessary to get the perfect shot.

Which is exactly what I mean if it does what you want it to do to the photo then there is nothing wrong with it.

I think they look natural and very pretty!
Thanks ;)

Yup, I agree. It is always possible to add more artistic value to your work, but you have to decide whether you want to get a photo or just some computer graphics (even if it is pretty, it's no longer a photo)

Adjusting saturation and contrast is no different than selecting Fuji Velvia over Kodak Gold. I think you should feel free to do whatever it takes before, during, and after the shot to capture the look you want.

Well, by being more specific in adding "artistic value", you are at least now making some sense, however artistic value is in the eye of the viewer, so it is still somewhat meaningless.

The purpose of postprocessing is not and never has been for strictly adding any artistic value to a shot unless you have an extremely broad understanding of what constitutes artistic value.

In public relations and photojournalism, I have adjusted contrast, selectively improved brightness to bring out detail and sharpened edges just to make a photo print out better. I don't see that as necessarily adding artistic value or being "too much" either.

skieur

Hey Drake,
These images have not been photoshoped, this is our actual sunset over here in Idaho (US)
DSCF0756.jpg

DSCF0765.jpg

If you are submitting photos to magazines or stock agencies, they don't want you doing ANYTHING to them, not the unsharp mask, threshhol, contrast, exposure - none of it. If you do they will ask for the untouched ones instead.

Except for using the 'info' tab for the captions the expensive Photoshop program I see is a waste of money if you are submitting to agencies or publishers . I'm glad because I hate using Photoshop.

I LOVE #3, #4, and #6, especially. Whatever you're doing in PP, keep it up!

Thanks for all of your opinions. Now I know I am not overprocessing my images. Gonna learn some new techniques now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back