How much sensor do you really need?

I agree. However, Romphotog has a point.
What a beginner needs is technical information and skills. The P&S (with exposure control) can develop those skills as well as any other camera.

Thanks.
I think this Sony could do the job of learning a beginner as well as a $500 DSLR for 1/2 price and x4 zoom.
Sony - DSC-H400 20.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

But, for large prints, P&S just wont do.

I actually disagree. With a smaller sensor you'll have less of an appreciation of DOF. Also P/S are highly geared towered Auto Everything. I think that our advise to "just turn off auto-everything" comes from a perspective of using a DSLR which is geared more for control. In my experience using a P/S like a DSLR in manual mode is a very detached experience.

Also, I very much believe that beginners should shoot with a fixed focal length. It teaches discrimination and avoids the attitude that focal length's sole purpose is to "make things bigger". Shooting a normal lens for a couple years, then buying a wide or tele the subtle impact of focal length is far, far more apparent, giving new photographers a better appreciation of when changing focal length is appropriate, and when changing working distance is appropriate.

Truly, there is a reason why first year photography students were suggested to learn using manual-everything on a 50mm lens, and I think it's truly unfortunate that attitudes are changing, and honestly I think it shows a lot in today's novice photographers.

I agree. However, Romphotog has a point.
What a beginner needs is technical information and skills. The P&S (with exposure control) can develop those skills as well as any other camera.

Thanks.
I think this Sony could do the job of learning a beginner as well as a $500 DSLR for 1/2 price and x4 zoom.
Sony - DSC-H400 20.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

But, for large prints, P&S just wont do.

For $250 a beginner could buy a used Nikon D80 or D100 and a 50mm or kit zoom lens and have money left over for things like memory cards so that is certainly an option. You can have pretty large prints from either one. My OP wasn't about large prints. It was about a learning tool.

I agree. "Bridge" cameras are really good for experienced photographers looking for a portable, take anywhere sort of camera that still offers exposure control when needed.

I don't think they're necessarily good for learning photography.

I agree. "Bridge" cameras are really good for experienced photographers looking for a portable, take anywhere sort of camera that still offers exposure control when needed.

I don't think they're necessarily good for learning photography.
Bridge cameras aren't good for learning photography, but they're great cameras for taking pictures and not having to worry about the details and lugging stuff.
The new Sony RX10 mkIII is my current drool at camera. Unfortunately, it costs as much as a fully kitted out Olympic Recurve bow.
The RX1R MkII is what I really want but it costs as much as this watch I'm totally eyeing.
Tudor Heritage Black Bay Dive Swiss Watch

Most reactions

New Topics

Back