How to cancel bookings...

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by fotomama, Aug 26, 2007.

1. fotomama

fotomama TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, guys. I'm in an awkard situation and not sure how exactly to deal with it. I just found out I am pregnant and have already booked two weddings that will be affected by this. One wedding will take place when I'm 8 months pregnant and the other is actually on my due date- so I need to cancel. I will of course return the entire deposit amount and will offer free engagement sessions. Should I do so via email or telephone (most communications have taken place via email). Any other suggestions on how to deal with this is greatly appreciated!

2. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congratulations:)

Telephone for sure.
    It's more personal and will probably be more appreciated by your clients than a 'sorry guys' kinda email.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Telephone would probably be better...and the sooner the better. You might also try contacting other photographers that your clients can contact for those dates...possibly even making sure that the other photographers can match the price & service that you had offered them.

4. holga girl

holga girl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    congrats! telephone for sure. i agree with mike.... be sure to provide them with referrals.

5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Perfect. Exactly what I would do.

Congrats!

-Pete

6. rachlynn17

rachlynn17 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would suggest, still offering them the services that you provide; but with a substitute photographer. I've found that several photographers are willing to shoot for each other cheaper than what they charge a client directly. This way the customer still deals with you when it comes to ordering and putting together their album. If you want have them meet with the photographer and you to go over details.

I actually have it in my contract that if the case should come up that I'm unable to make it, the wedding will still be covered by a photographer. If it is known enough time ahead, they couple will be able to meet their shooter.
    I have done this once already, and everything worked out wonderful. The bride & groom are still one of my favorite couples to work with. (I'm delivering their album this week!)

7. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Telephone. And be sure to follow up in writing with an "As we agreed on [Date]......" letter to CYA just in case they turn psycho down the line. Congrats on your pregnancy!

8. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congratulations!!!! Good luck...you got some great advise already. I will add myself to the many who have already said to contact them via telephone.

9. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats! I would let them know by phone as soon as possible and offer to help them find another photographer.