How to light this? - true Hi-Key BTW.

There's not a lot info to go on because the light is so even, and I suspect a bit of post-processing. The highlight in her eye tells me there's a smaller light to the photographers left and slightly up. It could also be a bit back. It's hard to tell, but the photo-right side of her face seems highlighted, so theres probably a light off to the sharp right where it wouldn't show in the eyes, or at least falls into her whites. Normally you would see it if it was in the whites, but I doubt it with this one.

markc said:
...the photo-right side of her face seems highlighted, so theres probably a light off to the sharp right...

Agreed. There is also some back-lighting since there's a considerable amout of light bouncing off the background, turning it into a light source in itself.

The catch-lights don't appear to be caused by a ring light.

I'm not sure why the emphasis on "ture" high key. This is more importantly an example of high contrast.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
I'm not sure why the emphasis on "ture" high key. This is more importantly an example of high contrast.
I guess not for me. It's one of the things that doesn't sit quite right for me. The dark parts aren't quite contrasty enough for my taste in this kind of pic. They look a little washed out and blend a bit into the light. What stands out to me is the high key.

There's more going on here than just the lighting. The exposure is probably cranked up too and I also suspect at least a little PS work in order to get the contrast up. There are tutorials on the web on how to do this if you want to try searching. I can't remember any links off-hand.

markc said:
It is. At least by my definition.

Oh... It's definately high key. I suppose what I want to express is that a portrait can be high key without being SO contrasty. It's just that I've noticed more and more that any high contrast portrait is being call high key. Just trying to be helpful.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
Oh... It's definately high key. I suppose what I want to express is that a portrait can be high key without being SO contrasty. It's just that I've noticed more and more that any high contrast portrait is being call high key. Just trying to be helpful.

Pete
Gotchya. Yeah, the high key shots around do tend towards this look. Not my favorite, but each their own, etc. I prefer more detail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back