How to take a picture like this

Greg Treviño

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, i'm new to the forum and kind of new to the photography world, i am thinking on making a maternity photo session for me and my wife i found this picture online and i was wondering how can i achieve the light effect on this picture in black and white, i do need to say i dont have any additional equipment other than my camera (canon t3) the standard lense (18-55mm 3.5) that came with it and a 50mm 1.8 lense.

Sorry - TPF rules prohibit the posting of images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link however.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is lighted by a fairly good-sized light source....something like say, a 3.5 foot by 4.5 foot window-sized light. The light is coming in from the camera's right side, at about a 25 to 35 degree angle (see the shadows?) in relation to the couple. You need a light that's not "tiny"...

A focal length of about 40 to 55 mm with camera on a tripod, or solidly placed on a chair or stool of the right height, self timer, and the window light, and BOOM! Shoot at slowish speeds using the self timer.

If you are CLOSE to the window, the light will "fall off" to black VERY rapidly, as it does here, and the rest of the room will be BLACK if other light sources are eliminated in the background. Again, CLOSE to the window, the lighting will fall off to black very fast; as you move away from the window, and more into the center of the room, the light's rate of fall off will even out, and there will not be this dramatic fade to black within a few feet of distance. This is due to the Inverse Square Law, and is something many people are not aware of.

I would guess this was lighted with a 3x4 foot softbox and electronic flash, but if you do not have that, a large window of similar size will work.

There was, however TPF does not permit the use of photographs by people who do not hold the rights to those images. As a community of photographers, we take copyright and image mis-use very seriously, and try to set the best example we can by not allowing any unauthorized use of any image.

As a community of photographers, we take copyright and image mis-use very seriously, and try to set the best example we can by not allowing any unauthorized use of any image.
crying-with-laughter.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back