How would you edit like this....

peanut170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Curious what kinda editing techniques for this photo? I know its some focus stacking, but hows he get the flowers looking like that. They don't look fake, but theres something about it. Some kinda overlay type thing. Any help would be appreciated. Couple links to the a few of his other photos for a better idea of what I'm talking about.......

http://www.steveschwindt.com/txksuuc7zjhtl9pi7ti2q0hmarnoc6

http://www.steveschwindt.com/idmukbwm6pe75ojtg1pd71x4ml6r6r

http://www.steveschwindt.com/iwyx2lrx8e646rxqdajrteitaxh2e4

A lot of editing skills in photoshop. Select in certain areas to increase color saturation and contrast. A lot of tweaking on various tools.

I appreciate the reply, but the dude in the video is doing some basic slider adjustment. The links I posted have a little more going on than that. Any other ideas?

Curious what kinda editing techniques for this photo?
Steve Schwindt offers classes where it is presumed he will teach his editing techniques.

I think it's mostly about his photography skill and knowledge rather than any special or tricky post process editing.

I appreciate the reply, but the dude in the video is doing some basic slider adjustment. The links I posted have a little more going on than that. Any other ideas?
Why do you think that?

Browsing his other images, two things caught my eye - in particular the shots that involve the Milky Way

1) The darkness (moonless nights) needed for a Milky Way shot would mean that he'd need very long exposures to capture the landscape.... so long that the stars would be smeared from the motion of the Earth. The only way to get these shots is to take shots for the sky separate from the shots for the landscape and piece them together. Many other shots that I looked at suggested he's doing a lot of HDR shots.

2) He's got a number of shots where close focus vs. far focus is very good... suggesting that some focus stacking is going on. I considered that he might be using tilt-shift lenses (they can do this too... but some of his shots were taken in such a way that I suspected he did not use a tilt-shift lens.)

Then I checked his lessons and he mentions use of both focus stacking and exposure blending ... he also mentions lots of other post processing techniques that he teaches.

Properly executed HDR would seem the best starting point to me.

I also think so. Looked through his site and noticed several photos of waterfalls. HRD is not meant for stuff that moves (What is High Dynamic Range Photography?), so it creates very specific effect for a flow of water that looks too smooth and unnatural, to my mind. Anyway, I suppose it can be a proof this is HDR photo.

There is a lot going on with these images. They may be focused stacked, exposure stacked or both. Or maybe is some cases they are a single image. Yeah I know that doesn't help much. But my point is you need to use the photographic technique that matches your previsualization of the scene and the actual conditions at the time of exposure.

For the processing technique, go to YouTube and look up Sean Bagshaw. He does a lot of exposure blending using luminosity masks and has some nice tutorials. That should give you a hint to the direction you could head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back