How would you process this skyline shot?

tpuma

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot from five miles away through a window with an 80d-18-200mm F/3.5-6.3. Unfortunately I didn't realize I had turned off RAW from a previous trip so this was only shot in JPEG:BangHead: I was so excited that the light was hitting the freedom tower this way that I hastily and frantically shot before the light was gone. If I had more time I would have played with settings but I didn't want the moment to pass without firing off a few first. By then the light was gone. I still have lots to learn lol. Anyway feel free...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vikjh8]NYC Freedom Light by Tom Puma, on Flickr[/URL]

This is a toughie.
It would have been nice to have some detail in the face of the tower but it is what it is...........
I suggest cropping to a portrait aspect ratio to eliminate lots of empty sky and non-contributing buildings.
Perhaps then increase the saturation so that the reflection from the tower becomes more important and adds to the color of the sky and the buildings.

upload_2017-6-6_16-34-29.png

Tried a few things but it is pretty tough with only the jpg

34983057751_f779bd17ce_k.jpg

Honestly, my first impression was ... it disturbed me that you would post a shot with these rays shooting out the side of that particular building.

It's definitely a tough one to edit! Wish I could have gotten a clearer shot!!

Honestly, my first impression was ... it disturbed me that you would post a shot with these rays shooting out the side of that particular building.

I happen to think this was particularly beautiful seeing as it is the freedom tower. I found it to be very symbolic as it took fifteen years to build it. Now that it is complete and the city is sort of back to normal the souls on those hallowed grounds can finally be free. But you are free to interpret it any way you'd like. This is just how I viewed it.

Last edited:
Just an opinion, but I like your original. It is what it is, good capture. Not sure under the circumstances that you could improve on it much. Maybe a portrait crop like Traveler suggested, though I'd disagree that the space around the tower lacks contribution. All that area around the tower serves to put the building in perspective to it's environment, making the rays off it even more relevant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back