How'd THIS Happen?

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You ever seem to fall into a gig?

About a month and a half ago, I was cruising Craig's List looking for a part-time gig. Most, of course, were those offering next to nothing in the way of monetary compensation or, worse yet, "you can expand your portfolio".

I replied to one, though, which was seeking someone to shoot football in central Florida. It seemed unlikely, but I recall thinking it might be for University of Florida, which is in Gainesville. Instead, it ended up being for shooting a youth football league.

Well, it would appear as though I may have found a semi-regular gig. I shot that football tournament about a month ago. I'm shooting again all this week, and will shoot for this company again in the future. The money's not great, but it is pretty good. It's far better than anything else I've been finding in any other gig where I'd be shooting for another photographer. All I do is shoot. I don't edit, I don't upload, I don't sell. I shoot. That's it.

The money's not the point of the thread, though.

The point of the gig is that I feel like I kinda' fell into the gig. I've always concentrated, primarily, on music and concerts. Other than racing, sports (specifically youth sports) is something completely new to me. The owner of the company is very happy with my work, though, and will continue to hire me.

I just never thought that, at 51 years old, I would start shooting youth sports.

Ever end up shooting something that you'd never thought you would?

Forrest Gumping your way through life?

Forrest Gumping your way through life?

Hehehehehe... I suppose that's one way to look at it. My never ending quest to avoid a "9-5", though, is is good shape!

This is just something on the side, though, but it's something I never would've imagined a year ago.

Ever find yourself in a position like that, photographically speaking?

Never too old to start doing something new!! Good for you for branching out. =)

Thanks!

So, no one else has ended up shooting something, even semi-regularly, that you never expected?

I haven't gone to much into the semi-permanent gigs from thin air, but I have had instances where going out to shoot something for fun turns into paid work, Have had an instance where I went down to shoot a friends modern dance group during there practice and as i'm there I wound up talking with the women running the event and got hired to work the event later that night. And have found a craigslist ad (i'll go thru them just to see if there is anything interesting.) and picked up a small job shooting some cars in the area for a auction house, bit of a drive so I just offered to shoot it for what they were asking plus another $50 for travel and they agreed. that will possibly be some more work down the line when they have cars in the area but I don't expect it to be a lot of work. I have gotten a lot more selective in who I will work with shooting for free, I photo models a lot for practice and it has turned into work for me. One girl I shot I did her brothers senior photos a couple weeks later and then the moms sister called me about family photos. I am still surprised by where my work comes from.

Thanks!

So, no one else has ended up shooting something, even semi-regularly, that you never expected?

Part of the benefits of being strictly amateur. I shoot whatever I feel like on my own schedule.. lol. Disadvantage of course, no tax right off for gear.. sigh.. sometimes it reallys stinks being Uncle Sam's favorite nephew.

Thanks!

Yes, event photography and television production which at the time included Mother Theresa, the Pope, John Candy, etc.

Im always trying to keep an eye open for possible work, im not outgoing so approaching people about work is the hard part for me. I did a gymnastics school for 3 years when I took pics of them in their parade and dropped by the gym and gave them to the teacher. The hours were long, the editing was endless but the money was descent considering the price break I gave them. :)

At some point or the other, it does happen. Where you find yourself into a gig which you never looked out for or expected.

I haven't been a freelance photographer for long to be honest. I've always been a hobbyist photographer and all the equipment mentioned in my signature was bought just for fulfilling my hobby. but not long ago ( a friend asked if i was interested in doing a shoot for local fashion brand for free. I don't really have anything to lose as i have my job as a financial advisor and that pays for all my expenses including photography so i said why not.

The owner of the label work for an agency in dubai and through her out of the blue i found myself shooting a campaign for one of the world's largest beauty brands: Dove. This gave me the much needed reassurance and ecgo boost to pursue photography as a freelance career.

Sometimes you just never know how one tiny thing could lead to a much larger opportunity and which is why, grab ever little opportunity you get.

:)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

What category did you find the job in, in craigslist? I just thought I would take a look around but didnt see anything. :D

I met the school superintendent at a farmers market, did his head shots and now regularly shoot awards ceremonies and school board meetings... I was looking for family photography gigs at the time. Go figure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back