I have decided that.........

I know that, but it doesn't mean, that 00 is not sending any light to shadows. System of having different filter for every zone while printing would be awesome. I am just a bit stunned with the amount of time needed for the highlights. I did some splits in extreme situations, mostly as a rescue, and from well made negs it shouldn't be needed, however some say prints look better. Well.
Honestly, how dense is the negative ?

It's not so much the density alone as it is the extreme dynamic range of the scene. It goes from dark shades deep in shadows to full sunlit whites. To shoot this digitally would require HDR, regardless of how many dollars the camera cost.

IIRC, there were 14 stops of range in the scene when I metered it.

OK, so tell me for which zone did you exposed negative ?

And you pushed development ? Still wonder why such a long exposure was needed. The print is 8x10 right ?

And you pushed development ? Still wonder why such a long exposure was needed. The print is 8x10 right ?

No. Pushing would have increased the contrast. There was more than enough to start with.

I had to stop down to f/22 in order to get a manageable exposure time for the shadows.

I could have gone to f/32 for 4 seconds, but that would stretch the highlight exposure to 1:20.

Gorgeous work! There really is no comparison to watching that image start to appear on the paper under the safelights, is there? :586:

Most reactions

Back