I hope you guys don't take this wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm someone who makes my living, doing photography. I don't have any other job.

But I didn't start out that way. :) I just liked it, and it was a dream of mine. I was lucky to make it real.

I learned a lot on this forum, and a few people here took me under their wing. I learned a ton. I learned other places too, doing apprentice work. I listened to everyone I knew who wanted to help me.

And so that is why I come here and try to give back. I try to help people, sometimes fix things for them, put up tutes, that kind of thing, because I want to give back.

But sometimes I am kind of freaked out by the resistance. Hey, you don't have to listen to me. I have no idea why anyone would listen to someone with no website and no business experience, but it happens everyday here.

People get slammed or get crazy advice. They aren't checking out the source of the information. They read these crazy posts and figure because someone said it, it's a fact.

I would suggest everyone check out the source of the info you are given.

I am suprised that I get a lot more newcomers arguing with me, than seasoned pros.

This is not a place in my opinion, to flex your muscle unless you can back it up. Let the reader decide. Sooooooo many people don't have websites with their work examples here. Why would anyone in their right mind listen to them????? They could be taking photos at Walmart for all you know.

Do your research, and listen to the people making the most sense to you.
I wish you all the very best.

Next time, be just a tad more arrogant when posting. It will make it easier to tell if you're just trolling, or if you're being serious. I call troll here, but I'll bite anyway.

This is an online community with probably thousands of people from thousands of different backgrounds. I have no interest in going pro, and I'm guessing a lot of people feel the same way. That should have no bearing on someone's ability to critique a photo.

The thing about an online community like this is its inherent ability to self-regulate. If someone gives bad advice, you'll usually have people jump in and correct that bad advice. You'll also typically get different advice from different people so you can see different points of view. I've seen people who admittadly have taken their first real shots the day before give some amazing insight into a photo that I, as an experience amateur (and others with more experience than I!) didn't even think of. You cannot dismiss any advice on the basis of whether they have a website with work on it.

You say you learned a lot from this forum. I'll go out on a limb and guess that you probably learned a lot from people who weren't pro, or who didn't have a website showing off their work. Actually, here's a quote pulled from your own post proving this one (emphasis, mine):

I listened to everyone I knew who wanted to help me.

So basically, what works for you, shouldn't work for others? Hmm, I'm confused now.

Personally, I think your post was a way to say, "I'm a pro now, so my advice is true, and I'm awesome now! If you aren't a pro, or have a website, your advice is stupid and you aren't a good photographer!" I'm sure you can prove me wrong on this one, but that's how your post comes across to me.

I dont have a photography website... and i definatley do know what im talking about :p

I am a beginner who likes to critique photos because I beleive it can help me see new things and improve my own photography. I usually identify myself as a beginner so the person posting the photos will know that I do not profess to be an expert. Often I will bypass commenting on certain photos because I don't have the knowlenge to contribute anything helpful. I appreciate the experience the guys like you bring to the table.

I have been a big advocate of beginners critiquing others. I think it's part of the learning process. If you can't critique someone else, how are you possibly going to be able to analyze your own photos to find the flaws so you can fix them later? Keep on critiquing, and ignore the arrogant rambling of arrogant pros like the OP.

Sometimes people who don't do this for a living offer valid CC. They see the photo as a consumer-- not a professional. I don't anyone's opinion or advice should be ignored.

I absolutely agree. People who are not in the industry look at photos in a way that we don't/can't because we are too involved, too darn close to the project. And newbies are the same in a way, they're still innocent.

I've gotten more interesting ideas from newbies here than from the pros. The biggest problem with the pros is that we (yes, I'm as guilty of it as anyone else) do not have/make the time to look at our work objectively. We're often only going to notice our work is getting boring when the sales fall off.

Some years back, I took the time to look at my work (both art and commercial, btw), didn't like what I was seeing and got out of photography. I'll grant you that not everyone can afford to do what I did but we need to at least make time to look closely and honestly at our work from time to time.

Today, I'm refreshed, I have new ideas, I feel ready to get back in the game so I am. But in some ways, I feel as much of a newbie as some people here. Until a year ago, I had never worked with digital and I've had an awful lot to learn.

As far as not showing photos or having a website, GUILTY! I make no bones about it either. There are a few different reasons but one is 100% technical. Until a few months ago I had no digital images worth showing (please understand that my view of this is a bit different from most people here. I don't ever show anything I am not 110% satisfied with), my prints are too big to fit on an affordable scanner and, since I decided I was not going to learn digital PP to a serious extent, there was no way I was going to scan negs...

But guess what, some people here seem to understand without seeing a single image of mine that I know what I'm talking about. Part of it is that I don't talk about things I don't know. Ok, I have a couple times and I put my foot in my mouth :lol:

Dismissing anyone for reasons such as they are not pros or they don't show their work ultimately only hurts you.

It is very true that newbies have, among many other things, to learn how to distinguish between those who know and those who don't. But, you, as a pro should not use that line because you should be able to tell the difference right away.

I dont have a photography website... and i definatley do know what im talking about :p

Only images on a website that were done for a paying client are to be considered in determaning someone's photo-worth.

Sorry, move along newb

:mrgreen::hugs:

I, being a total noob, will listen to anyones advice. I may not take it all but I will listen. I am happy to get all advice! Yes, ALL advice. Even if it is from another noob. Someone buying a photo doesn't understand all of the photography mumbo-jumbo but they do know what is pleasing to the eye although they don't know why.

If I post a picture up for cc I hope to hear from as many people as I can. And I hope that people don't mind me posting my thoughts. I make it no secret that I know nothing... Look at my signature! :meh:

Last edited:
godkillskittentroll.jpg

I think people took this wrong...

:lmao:

From the point of view of whom? I'm guessing to the OP, we took this the wrong way. But, arrogance always has a way of clouding someone's perspective. Anywho, it seems that there's only one person on this thread so far that actually agrees with the OP, and that's the OP. Pretty telling, eh? :lol:

I think people took this wrong...

:lmao:

From the point of view of whom? I'm guessing to the OP, we took this the wrong way. But, arrogance always has a way of clouding someone's perspective. Anywho, it seems that there's only one person on this thread so far that actually agrees with the OP, and that's the OP. Pretty telling, eh? :lol:

Isn't that the goal of a successful troll? :lol:

Hey, that rhymed. It must be their slogan or creed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back